Moderator Control Panel ]

English sources for shortlist

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

English sources for shortlist

Postby DerekvG » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:26 pm

I'm looking for my unknown grandfather, my grandmother gave birth to my father in June 1930, aged 27. The biological father was hidden from records.
She worked for General Motor Continental (Antwerp) the subsidiary of the American car manufacturer. Much of the managing staff were British ex-pats, investigation learned that the British ex-pat staff was hired in the UK and came here with an employment contract, no locally residing ex-pats were hired according to the Antwerp foreigner police records.
Thanks to the info in those police records I managed to compile several shortlists of names of british expats in Antwerp, Belgium between 1925 and latest june 1929,

I 'v used a number of on-line resources like family search and access to the Antwerp Felix archives to obtain info those names
What (free) resources/ archives can I consult to obtain information on the names on my shortlist
DerekvG

Re: English sources for shortlist

Postby Sylcec » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:34 pm

Gosh Derek - that's a tricky one. I am thinking that you live in Antwerp or elsewhere in Belgium.
In Australia (where I am) and in England many, maybe all, public libraries provide free access to the major subscription websites such as Ancestry and Findmypast. These are also available at the Latter Day Saints Family History Centres - and you may have one of these near where you live.

Are you looking for birth, marriage and death information? Familysearch has the civil registration indexes up to 2008. However, these are only indexes and it is necessary to order a certificate for full details. (I will add that the amount of detail on an English certificate is minimal compared with what you find on a Belgian one.) Of course, the person you seek may have been Irish or Scottish and their records are separate from the English ones. You can search the Scottish indexes free on Scotlandspeople, but need to buy credits to view the record - and for more recent records you would need to order a proper certificate.

Census is only available to 1911 - and on subscription sites. However, Findmypast also has the "1939 Register" and it may be worth taking a short subscription to view the entries on that.
http://www.familysearch.org
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/
http://www.findmypast.com.au/1939register

Good luck!
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby DerekvG » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:06 pm

Thank you Sylvia,
That are useful suggestion, however more likely i was trying to find info on people who deregistered from their home in the UK, registered at the British consulate and re registered in the UK around the dates mentioned.
Derek
DerekvG

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:56 pm

... except that the UK had no such concepts of registration outside of the World Wars. At least, not for UK citizens.

Electoral Registers are the closest we come to that but you're dependent on someone letting their UK voting qualification lapse, which is by no means certain. Even if they did, they could just as easily simply have moved to another constituency and with only a single name to go on, the chances of you tracking them is slim.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General research queries