Moderator Control Panel ]

1881 British Census And National Index

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

1881 British Census And National Index

Postby arakan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:24 pm

Hi
I apologise if I am in the wrong area. I recently purchased a second hand copy of the 1881 British Census and National Index Set. The problem is the Viewer 2.0 disc will not load the details. It gets to the point where it states registering system support file please wait , then it stops. I am running windows 8 operating system. Is it possible to purchase a new disc as it seems a waste of a lot of information I can not access ? Any other ideas or help would be most welcome.
Thank You
Dave
arakan

Re: 1881 British Census And National Index

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:02 pm

1) FamilySearch has the England and Wales Census, 1881 online https://familysearch.org/search/collection/2562194 - indexes appear to be full transcripts including occupations and birthplaces, images are only accessible if you subscribe to FindMyPast. The equivalent for Scotland https://familysearch.org/search/collection/2046756 does not have full households - they want you to pay ScotlandsPeople.

2) I take it that you've set all the compatibility options to (say) run the software as if it were Windows XP?
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby peter kent » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:07 pm

Is it possible to purchase a new disc

It's no longer sold because it's all available online now. To the best of my knowledge, the online indexes to the 1881 census are identical to the index on the CDs. Online access to the transcription (but not the original forms) should be free of charge.
peter kent

Postby kinsbourne » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:20 pm

peter kent wrote:
It's no longer sold because it's all available online now.

It may be possible to view the 1881 census of England and Wales at familysearch but for Scotland you either need the CDs or you would have to pay scotlandspeople. One large advantage of the CDs is the ability to search for an address by typing in a free text.
kinsbourne

Postby Guy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:02 pm

arakan wrote:Hi
I apologise if I am in the wrong area. I recently purchased a second hand copy of the 1881 British Census and National Index Set. The problem is the Viewer 2.0 disc will not load the details. It gets to the point where it states registering system support file please wait , then it stops. I am running windows 8 operating system. Is it possible to purchase a new disc as it seems a waste of a lot of information I can not access ? Any other ideas or help would be most welcome.
Thank You
Dave

Viewer 2 needs to be updated to Viewer 4 which is then updated in turn with a patch to 4.02.
Viewer 4.02 will run on most 32bit & some 64bit versions of Windows including 7 & 10 but I have no experience with Windows 8.

You have to choose compatibility mode (Vista is normally the best choice rather than XP).
* Ensure you update to 4.02 as the databases will not load under viewer 4.00
If you need further help feel free to PM me.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Return to General research queries