Moderator Control Panel ]

John George Jackson

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

John George Jackson

Postby katebenn » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:19 pm

I'm looking for the birth registration for my maternal great grandfather John George Jackson born c1848 in the Annfield Plain, Durham area. His mother was Mary Ann Jackson; a single lady.
I've purchased the birth cert for John Jackson b 1847 Sep Q Durham RD & this is not him; also John George Jackson b 6 Nov 1847 in Leadgate, Lanchester RD, not him.
The 1851 & 61 census have in Annfield Plain with his mother.
I've no baptism either.
Any ideas please?
Kate B
katebenn

Re: John George Jackson

Postby JaneyH » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:50 pm

Have you considered the birth Q1 1846 of a John George Jackson, Stockton & Sedgefield Registration District, vol 24 page 242?

Or alternatively the John Jackson, born Q2 1846, Lanchester & Durham RD, vol 24 page 104? I mention these particularly because on the new GRO register the mother's maiden name is indicated as "-" which in most cases means the same surname as the child (i.e. an unmarried mother).

Both of these are County Durham although don't coincide exactly with Annfield Plain. Might this have been the childhood home rather than the actual place of birth?

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby ermin79 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:37 pm

" Have you considered the birth Q1 1846 of a John George Jackson, Stockton & Sedgefield Registration District, vol 24 page 242? "

There appears to be a baptism transcription on Durham Records online which may tally with the John George suggested above by JaneyH. It cites him as being "of Sunderland", illegitimate son of Mary Ann Jackson. Baptised in St Hilda, Hartlepool 23 Feb 1846. Hartlepool was in the Stockton registration district.

"Or alternatively the John Jackson, born Q2 1846, Lanchester & Durham RD, vol 24 page 104? "

The second registration mentioned may correspond with the following baptism: John Jackson from Gilesgate, mother Jane Jackson, baptised St Giles, Durham. 20 May 1846.

These do however presuppose that the children were baptised very soon after birth which obviously might not be the case
ermin79

Postby katebenn » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:59 am

Hi,
This birth registration in 1846 is possible BUT on his marriage in 1873 his age is 24 which makes a birth in 1846 unlikely. He gives a father - William Jackson, a coke burner. His mother had married a soldier William Beecroft by then; after having 2 more illegitimate children; & we assume the William may have come from this William.
On the census he usually gives birth place as Annfield Plain.
Still a mistery - but thanks for your input
Kate B
katebenn

Postby katebenn » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:10 pm

[quote="ermin79"]" Have you considered the birth Q1 1846 of a John George Jackson, Stockton & Sedgefield Registration District, vol 24 page 242? "

There appears to be a baptism transcription on Durham Records online which may tally with the John George suggested above by JaneyH. It cites him as being "of Sunderland", illegitimate son of Mary Ann Jackson. Baptised in St Hilda, Hartlepool 23 Feb 1846. Hartlepool was in the Stockton registration district.

I've bitten the bullet & ordered this birth certificate - so will wait to see & let you know if its correct. Its the only ref which vaguely matches; although age is often out!!
Its looking as though his mother Mary Ann was also born out of wedlock & that her mother, Elizabeth married a few months later to who we assume was her father John Jackson (his 2nd marriage).
katebenn

Postby Caroline Davey » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:54 pm

This is the first time I've used the Forum, having seen your query in the magazine!

In the 1851 census John George is 2 ½ years old, thus he was born in the second half of 1848 and his birth may not have been registered until the beginning of 1849.
Annfield Plain was at that time in the Lanchester parish, part of Durham. Using Freebmd I found 3 registered births within this time frame:
John Jackson regd Dec 1848 Sunderland [where Mary Ann was born] 24 305
John Jackson regd Mar 1849 Durham &c* 24 116
John Jackson regd Mar 1849 Durham &c* 24 107
* includes Annfield Plain

Using Genuki I found several churches in Annfield Plain, but the only one that appeared to exist in 1848 is the Annfield Plain Methodist Church. There is still an active Methodist Church here who could be contacted: http://www.northwestdurhammethodists.or ... church.htm
Parish Chest has transcripts of baptisms at this church: https://www.parishchest.com/annfield_pl ... rs__P96322
Annfield Plain Methodist Circuit Parish Registers Ref: FOD-F01
Supplied by Friends of Durham County Records Office
Baptisms 1879-1956 Marriages 1910-1962
£7.20
Hope this helps!
Caroline Davey

Return to General research queries