Moderator Control Panel ]

India and Boer War Medical Form

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: India and Boer War Medical Form

Postby Sylcec » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:09 am

Here's a few more:
I agree with the others about Colic
I made typo error at 2/11/94 - Diarrhoea
Revaccinated on 3/11/96 arm right - 3 - Result Failed
2/2/97 Abscess - 25 - I think this is "Ischeo-rectal" (very uncomfortable!!) but not sure of other words, unless unknown ...??
25/8/98 - the missing word is just 'other'
Sylcec

Postby Simon A » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:36 am

Very helpful. Thank you all very much.

I had another go at the last paragraph (the 3rd page of the Medical history) and came up with the following

The result according to his own statement of a **** concussion of brain for which invalided home - Test*** for ******. ******,*******. ******** for *******- ******** on active service in South Africa.

Can anyone fill in the blanks?

Simon
Simon A

Postby coopernicola » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:27 pm

Is it possible to upload a higher resolution image as the writing blurs when enlarged?
coopernicola

Postby Simon A » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:03 pm

Is this better
Attachments
Medical.JPG
Medical.JPG (90.03 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
Simon A

Postby coopernicola » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:33 pm

Simon A wrote:The result according to his own statement of a **** concussion of brain for which invalided home - Test*** for ******. ******,*******. ******** for *******- ******** on active service in South Africa.

May be: "invalided home - TREATMENT for ... OCCURRED on active service"
Still working on the rest!
coopernicola

Postby ksouthall » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:48 pm

Following on from Nicola -

The result according to his own statement of a FALL a concussion of brain for which invalided home - treatment for ... REPOSED for ... occurred on active service in South Africa.

Suggestions in capitals in bold. Sorry I can't add more. Still trying to work out what he was treated for.
ksouthall

Postby plf99 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:24 pm

My great, great, great grandfather also served in both India and the Boer War. I would love to find any information on his time out there is possible. Would you be able to advise on how or where to locate such information?

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
plf99

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:03 pm

plf99 wrote:My great, great, great grandfather also served in both India and the Boer War. ...

Sounds like you need to start with http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-soldiers-up-to-1913/
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby MaureenE » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:19 am

plf99 wrote:My great, great, great grandfather also served in both India and the Boer War.

For records, particularly online records, see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page British Army, section Records
http://wiki.fibis.org/w/British_Army#Mi ... l_Archives
The main online records would be Service Records and Medal Rolls (for the Boer War)

At the bottom of the Fibiwiki page are a number of links concerning conditions etc. in India and you can use the FIbiwiki Search to locate pages such as Peshawar and Lahore, which were major cantonments in the NW of India, which were common posting for British soldiers.

The Ancestry medal rolls for the Boer War would indicate which regiment he was in, and you can use the Fibiwiki Search to locate relevant pages, including Royal Artillery.

ksouthall wrote:Following on from Nicola -

The result according to his own statement of a FALL a concussion of brain for which invalided home - treatment for ... REPOSED for ... occurred on active service in South Africa.

Suggestions in capitals in bold. Sorry I can't add more. Still trying to work out what he was treated for.

I wonder whether REPOSED... could be REPASSED FOR INVALIDING and in the previous line he had treatment for INSOMNIA (but I don't know how likely these suggestions are given the context)

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby ksouthall » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:11 am

MaureenE wrote:I wonder whether REPOSED... could be REPASSED FOR INVALIDING and in the previous line he had treatment for INSOMNIA (but I don't know how likely these suggestions are given the context)

Cheers
Maureen

They both look probable Maureen.
ksouthall

Previous

Return to Military help