Moderator Control Panel ]

Richard Wilson Goodwin, Gorleston, Suffolk

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby coopernicola » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:38 pm

I have been tracing my ancestors for some time and have tried, with each generation, to ensure I have documentation to back up my research to ensure I have the correct line. I am happy on my female maternal line as far as my gg grandmother Harriet Goodwin b1828, Gorleston. Her parents appear to be Richard Wilson Goodwin & Harriet Todd. She has two sisters Susannah King Goodwin b1833, Gorleston & Ann b1835, Gorleston.
Their mother Harriet does not appear on any census, their father is on both 1841 & 1851 at Pier Marsh, Gorleston (in the latter states he was born Gorleston). His occupation is Pilot, and dob 1803.
I have only been able to find documentary information on another(?) Richard Goodwin b 2 Jun 1802 Yarmouth, a Shipchandler, who moves to Liverpool (I have a seaman's ticket) where he is to be found in 1841 & 1851 census. There is also a Richard Goodwin, b1777 Yarmouth, with the family group.
I know my gg grandmother and her sisters all marry and move to Hull by 1861, and remain there until 1911.
I'm uncertain how to progress with my investigation of my Richard Goodwin as there appear to be four baptisms on FamilySearch, all with Richard Goodwin & Sarah Varley as parents, two of whom die as infants.
Could they be brothers?
As Gorleston hops from Suffolk to Norfolk could it be interchangeable with Yarmouth (some documents state 'Gorleston, Yarmouth?
coopernicola

Re: Richard Wilson Goodwin, Gorleston, Suffolk

Postby ianbee » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:53 pm

Hi Nicola
Is the Richard Goodwin born circa 1777 in Gt Yarmouth that you refer to the man in Gorleston in 1841 and 1851?
Was with a Grace Goodwin in 1841, who seems to have died in 1850 age 66. Burial at Gorleston, 28 January 1850. Can't say for sure that she was Richard's wife of course.
Richard was 72, a widowed Boatman in the 1851 census. Did he die shortly after?
Burial at Gorleston, 16 May 1851, Richard Goodwin, age 72.

There are these baptisms in Yarmouth -
17 June 1777 Richard Goodwin, son of Richard and Mary
1 July 1778 Richard Willson Goodwin, son of Richard Willson Goodwin and Virtue
20 Oct 1780 Richard Goodwin, son of Robert and Alice

On the possibilities for the younger Richard, father of Harriet -
I make it three Richard's baptized in Yarmouth to Richard and Sarah Varley, with two burials.
The third one was baptized 9 June 1804.
(EDIT - there might be another one in 1815!)

Whereas the Richard Goodwin in Gorleston appears to have been 52 years old on death in 1853. Buried 12 July 1853. Presuming that's the right one!
London Family History Centre has
Parish register transcripts for Gorleston, 1674-1812
I can try and have a look next time I go, see if there's a Richard baptized there early 1800's
Ian
ianbee

Postby ciderdrinker » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:18 pm

Hello
Can I just add at Gorleston there is another baptism

Richard Goodwin 12.8.1849 son of Harriet Goodwin.

Is he another child from the family?

I'd be wanting to look at the actual parish records for Gorleaton because although it says they are on Familysearch etc checking 1770-1810 on FMP only gives 4 entries and none from the actual records.Freereg has four entries 1800-1809 and 548entries 1810-1819 .They didn't suddenly appear from thin air in 1810.(Burials start from 1840 on Freereg)
He says he was born in Gorleston and perhaps he was.There are a lot of Todds working the boats who look to be relatives as well -David and Susan with a child Charles King Todd born 1822 which look like her family but no baptisms before 1812.
Apparently they are held at Norwich

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby coopernicola » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:03 pm

Hello Ian
Thanks for this, it looks as though 'my' Richard born circa 1777 is the son of Richard Wilson Goodwin & Virtue Tripp (I had this originally, more by luck I think), so the baptism information shows he was likely born in Yarmouth.
You have found a couple more Richard's born circa 1802/4 - argh! My main concern is that there are two Richard's of similar age on both 1841 & 1851 census in Gorleston AND Liverpool. I'm almost sure they are two people, but the appearance of an older Richard in Liverpool with other family members has me thinking there may be brothers: Richard and Richard Wilson. I think a very large sheet of paper and a fresh start may be called for!
I think a trip to Norwich may be required, it looks as though they hold Gorleston records. It's kind of you to offer to look at LMA records but I'm sure your time would be better spent (odd that they have Gorleston BT's).
Nicola
coopernicola

Postby coopernicola » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:13 pm

Hello Ciderdrinker,
You have found my next conundrum, the Todd/King link! I've left them alone for now as at least they are using different names for children :)
I do also have Richard Goodwin, son of Harriet pencilled in as perhaps being part if the family group too.
I do enjoy a weekend away to forage in archives, but try my best to gather as much information as I can in order to use my time wisely. These Richard Goodwin's just keep popping up. There are Richard's in every generation, usually the eldest boy, and if he's not a 'Goodwin' this is added as a middle name. Each generation also names the eldest girl Harriet, and adds the Goodwin if it's not her surname. It really wouldn't surprise me if there were two boys, both named Richard, in one family!
One day I may find out why 'Richard' and 'Goodwin' were important as names, it really doesn't appear to be money, most were impoverished boat/fisher men.
Nicola
coopernicola

Postby paulr1949 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:33 am

Hi Nicola, I have sent you a pm

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Postby ianbee » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:05 pm

paulr1949 wrote:Hi Nicola, I have sent you a pm

What's the secret?
ianbee

Postby coopernicola » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:22 pm

Just an offer of help Ian!
coopernicola

Postby paulr1949 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:22 am

ianbee wrote:
paulr1949 wrote:Hi Nicola, I have sent you a pm

What's the secret?

I'm going to Lowestoft RO next Monday and already looking up something for Midshipman, also Gorleston, so offered to do the same for Nicola. I don't actually have a lot to look for for myself, but a couple are only at Lowestoft

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Return to General research queries