Moderator Control Panel ]

Mary Hannah Dale - Brick Wall

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Mary Hannah Dale - Brick Wall

Postby IsobelDix » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:39 pm

Hello Everyone!

I have hit a brick wall with my research in relation to one particular member. Sorry if this is a bit rambling I'll try and give as much info as I can.

Mary Hannah Dale was born abt 1866 in Manchester.

She appears in the 1891 census as a general servant in Didsbury Lancashire age 25.

I then believe that she appears in the 1901 census as an inmate at the Chorlton Union Workhouse. In this entry she is listed as a widow, however, I am unsure if this is correct.

The only other record I have is that Mary Hannah is listed as "Mary Hannah Howard formerly Dale" on a birth certificate from 1891. Father is listed as Nathan Howard. I cannot find any record of their marriage.

After the 1901 census entry Mary Hannah disappears, I cannot find any event for her after that date.

Does anyone have any tips for moving forward? Any advice would be gratefully received.

thanks in advance.

Isobel
IsobelDix

Re: Mary Hannah Dale - Brick Wall

Postby Mick Loney » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:52 pm

Isobel,
You'll only find a marriage for her in the GRO indexes or Parish registers under the Dale surname, if she was a spinster when she married Nathan. If she was previously married, it would be seen under her married name.
Check ALL marriage for Nathan, where bride is shown as Mary Hannah e.g. Mary Hannah Smith. Then look for a marriage between Mary Hannah Dale and a Mr Smith. Could get even more complicated if she was married twice before marrying Nathan!
You could also check it the other way round, and look for any marriage for Mary Hannah Dale, and see if her spouse died, and she then married Nathan!
Of course, the simple answer could be that they never married!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby IsobelDix » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:17 pm

HI Mick,

Thank you for your reply. I'm almost 100% that they never married. Their child was christened under the name Dale and was admitted in School registers under both Dale and Howard. I also know that Nathan went on to marry someone else (although as I don't know when Mary Hannah died I cant be sure that this was still while she was with us).

I think its possible however that she may have married before 1891 which is something I hadn't considered. I'll start searching for other husbands!

thank you again

Isobel
IsobelDix

Postby sdup26 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:45 pm

I think this is Mary Hannah Dale's birth entry: SQ 1865 Chorlton 8c 643. In 1871 she's with parents William (a policeman) and Sarah, and sister Jemima, in Hulme, Chorlton. Mary Hannah and Jemima are listed in birth entries with mother's maiden name Armstrong. William Dale married Sarah Armstrong DQ 1864 Chorlton 8c 613.
In 1881, William and Sarah lived in Blanchard Street, Chorlton, with 6 children, the youngest Samuel Alfred b1881. I can't find Sarah or children after 1881, but there's a death for a William Dale JQ 1882 Chorlton 8c 547, aged 45, which might explain it. Also in 1881, Mary H Dale b1866 was a domestic servant in the household of William Ingram, in Pendleton, Salford.
Re the 1891 census entry showing a Mary Dale b1872, general servant, in Manchester Road, Didsbury. Also in Didsbury in 1891 (Clyde Road), there was a Nathan Howard b1874, domestic servant. Could be coincidence...
sdup26

Postby IsobelDix » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:52 pm

Hi there!

I'm still stuck with this same brick wall, I've not been sucessfull in finding a marriage or death for Mary Hannah Dale after 1901 she seems to disappear!

any advise certainly welcome.

Isobel
IsobelDix

Postby phsvm » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:03 pm

There's a death for a Hannah Mary Howard in March Q 1903 in Manchester with a year of birth of 1865.

As has been said before death registrations are only a good as the informant so if she was known as Hannah but the informant 'thought' she may have had the name Mary as well they could easily be registered the wrong way round.

I'd perhaps investigate this one.

It might also be worth looking at the 1939 Register for the child to see if by any chance she's with them.
phsvm

Return to General research queries