Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others
Post a reply

Driffold Lunatic Asylum, Maney, Sutton Coldfield.

Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:51 pm

George BODINGTON, a doctor from Birmingham, was originally a pioneer of treatments for TB. But sometime before 1851, he founded a Lunatic Asylum in Sutton Coldfield.

In the 1851 Census, he had 11 patients at the Asylum. As is often the case, they are identified only by initials and ages. And there are no P/Bs.

I have a missing ancestor, Ann MOLESWORTH nee MARSTON, born in Halesowen between 1789 and 1796, who was widowed in January 1841. She had lived in central Birmingham for all her married life, and died in Deritend in 1874. She had married daughters, a married son and a widowed sister also resident there, and lived with one or other of them in 1841 and from 1861 until her death. But although they are all accounted for in 1851, I cannot find Ann herself. I have searched exhaustively, using all kinds of variants and combinations, on all 3 main sites, but there is no sign.

However, in Driffold Asylum, there is a widowed female, A.M. aged 58 (b 1793) in 1851. This COULD be Ann.

Please does anyone know where I might find patient records of this Asylum? It does not feature in Ancestry's database, nor, that I can see, on National Archives. What I need to try and discover is whether A.M. is Ann. Any additional information would be the icing on the cake. Even some guidance as to whether Ann might have been a likely patient for Dr Bodington, would really help. She was poor, so if anyone knows that his patients were only private ones, that would certainly exclude her.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Jane

Re: Driffold Lunatic Asylum, Maney, Sutton Coldfield.

Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:16 pm

This website tells you about Dr Bodington hope it gives you some help

http://www.boddington-family.org.uk/bod ... n.gbmd.htm

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum

Re: Driffold Lunatic Asylum, Maney, Sutton Coldfield.

Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:34 pm

Thank you, a very interesting site.

J
Post a reply