Moderator Control Panel ]

Alfred Henry Simpson

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Alfred Henry Simpson

Postby laura simpson » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:52 pm

You good folks were very helpful in helping me find a birth record for Thomas and subsequently unearthing the tale of 'Madame Frain'!

I have hit another brick wall and would appreciate some more help.

This time it is my paternal great, grandfather - Alfred Henry Simpson. I do know quite a bit about him but like Thomas, I just cannot find a birth record for him.

Working backwards;
He died 29th April, 1900 in the Islington Infirmary, Islington London. I know that this is his death record because his occupation was given as house painter and his address was given as Nicholay Road, Islington and the Simpsons all lived in that road for some years.

He married Caroline Susan Bright on 19th November, 1883 (bit spooky this because my Dad married my Mum on the same date but in 1948!). His occupation was given as 'hawker' and she was shown as a spinster. His father's name was given as George Simpson, deceased.

They had six children;
Charles, born in 1879 in Fulham, London
Henry (my direct ancestsor), born in 1881 in the Leicester Workhouse
William, born in 1884 in Islington, London
Mary Jane, born in 1886 in Islington, London
Francis, born in 1888 in Cheltenham, Glos.
Albert Arthur, born in 1890 in Islington, London.

I have found an army record for him. He was awarded the Canada General Service Medal for the American Fenian Raids and Red River campaign in 1866-1870 with the 1st battalion, 16th Regiment. His regimental number was 148 , rank of Private. Address given as 41 Nicholay Road, Upper Holloway, London - which was the address given on his death certificate. The Regiment returned to Curragh, Ireland.

A record in the 1851 Census shows an Alfred Simpson visiting Charles Adams (a groom) and his wife, Louisa at 7 Tucker Street, Bristol, with his mother Mary who was a teacher (?) from Taunton, Somerset. His place of birth was given as St Asaph, North Wales.

The 1861 Census finds Alfred at Camp Shornecliffe, Cheriton, Folkestone, Kent with the 1st Battalion, 16th Infantry Regiment as a soldier.

Any help/suggestions etc would be very helpful.

ljcs
laura simpson

Re: Alfred Henry Simpson

Postby ianbee » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:29 pm

Hi Laura
I can't see anything much online for him re his army service.
You have him in the 1861 census, the Worldwide Army Index has him too, Drummer/Fifer, reg no. 148
I'm not sure if the 1871 index has the 16th Foot (perhaps missing muster rolls?) Presuming they were in Ireland, but with or without Alfred?
Did he face a couple of court martials?
Name: Alfred Simpson
Court or Trial Date: 31 Mar 1862
Court or Trial Place: Templemore
Regiment: 16 Foot
Reference Number: WO 86/12

Name: Alfred Simpson
Court or Trial Date: 12 May 1864
Court or Trial Place: Templemore
Regiment: 16 Foot
Reference Number: WO 86/13
Indexed on ancestry, Naval and Military Courts Martial Registers, 1806-1930
Unfortunately we can't see the images on ancestry, they are on another of their sites, Fold3

If (and it is "if"!) he had left the army by 1871, one possibility might be the "Albert" Simpson, 27, born Wales, Labourer, in a lodging house in St Giles in the Fields. Can't see such a person in any other record.

I've had a look at the couple Mary and Alfred were visiting in 1851, Charles and Louisa Adams.In the hope that perhaps Mary might be related in some way. Possibly Louisa's maiden name might have been Perry or Parry, but it hasn't really led anywhere.
Ian
ianbee

Postby laura simpson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:32 am

Hello Ian,
Thank you as always. I have been trying to obtain his Army records in the hope that they will reveal the names of his parents, date and place of birth. Not had much success so far.

Ljcs
laura simpson

Postby ianbee » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:01 pm

Found the men of the 16th Foot in the 1871 Army Index (by searching for regiment *Bedf*)
1,859 names between the two battalions. But to confirm, no Alfred Simpson. So looks likely that he had left the army by April 1871.
Ian
ianbee

Postby laura simpson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:26 pm

Thanks again Ian. I shall have a look at the 1971 Census record this evening.

Ljcs
laura simpson

Postby laura simpson » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:22 pm

I have had a look at the 1851 Census on Ancestry in the hope that it would show some other records hints that might apply to Alfred. Unfortunately, it didn't.

I have also had another search on a website for Parish Registers for Wales - Flintshire, St Asaph, Denbighshire etc and nothing comes up for an Alfred Simpson with a birth year of 1844 in St Asaph in any of the areas. I also tried putting in a father's name of George Simpson- nothing. Then tried with a mother's name of Mary - nothing. And even with parents of George Simpson and Mary and yet again nothing. So frustrating.

I also registered with Scotlandspeople and searched through their records, Parish as well but no records at all for an Alfred Simpson in or around 1844.

But what was interesting was when I searched on FreeBMD just putting in Alfred Simpson, birth year of 1844 and to search all districts. Just one entry came up and that was a birth in 1844 for an Alfred Henry Simpson but in Abdingdon. I am sorely tempted to order this certificate if only to rule it out as a no-no.

Does anyone else have any suggestions as to where else I could look?

ljcs
laura simpson

Postby 2012girl » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:03 am

I think that 1844 birth in Abingdon may not be your chap. The GRO birth index gives the mothers maiden name of the child as Smith, worth checking their own indexes now they give extra info. An Alfred H. Simpson can be found on census returns from 1851 onwards living in Abingdon with parents Samuel & Jane and then later with a wife, so I wouldn't fork out for it if I was you.

I notice he says that his father was a Clerk when he married but did he start docking years off his age when he married Susan? So we may have to take that with a pinch of salt?

Jill
2012girl

Postby laura simpson » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:00 pm

Thanks for that Jill. And also having had a further look at the chappie in Abingdon, I am pretty sure that he is not my Alfred.

Ljcs
laura simpson

Postby laura simpson » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:24 am

I have been going through all the records that I have previously looked at, hoping that a fresh pair of eyes might spot something that has been missed.

And I am beginning to think that Alfred was not born in St Asaph, Wales at all. Having re-searched all the records available to me, I cannot find an Alfred born about 1844 in North Wales, or any other part of Wales. Neither is there an Alfred born in Scotland, having looked through records through Scotslandpeople.

I am wondering if he was born near to where his final resting place was - Islington. He did live there and two of his children were born in Islington. He also must have travelled to Gloucestershire as two other children of his were born in CHeltenham (according to Census records). My direct ancestor, his son Henry Simpson was born in the Leicester Workhouse so he must have lived in or around that area at some point.

ljcs
laura simpson

Postby 2012girl » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:46 am

This doesn't help much Laura, but just my thoughts.

St. Asaph is pretty consistent as a place of birth, isn't it? It seems a fairly random place to put down if it wasn't true, or at least some link to it? It's given by himself, presumably, when he's an adult and there is also that 1851 census of an Alfred Simpson, born in St. Asaph c. 1844.

The only Alfred birth in that district is an Alfred Smith, Mar 1843, maiden name of mother: Drew. There aren't any other Alfred's, and no Simpson's at all, so I think it's reasonable to assume that it is the same Alfred Simpson throughout the census.

Like Ian, I looked to see if Mary Simpson in 1851 was related to the Adams family they are staying with but didn't find much either. I couldn't find a marriage for Charles & Louisa, but their childrens births do give a maiden name of Perry/Parry for her. Doesn't help much, I'm afraid.

So, can anything else be found out about this Mary Simpson, born in Taunton? Does it say she was a widow on that census? Was this father, George Simpson, a clerk, fictitious? Not easy, I know, as there isn't much to work with but I would concentrate on those names and trying to find anything out about them. What would have taken Mary from Taunton to St. Asaph and then to Bristol? The names are fairly common, and it looks like there may have been some moving around too, which doesn't help in trying to locate any possible deaths or marriages. I can't find a Mary Simpson from Taunton after 1851.

Jill
2012girl

Next

Return to General research queries