Moderator Control Panel ]

Maintenance Payments for Illegitimate Child

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Maintenance Payments for Illegitimate Child

Postby ksouthall » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:39 am

I have just found a newspaper article where an ancestor was summoned to pay maintenance arrears for an illegitimate child. I had not previously been aware of this child and wondered if it would be possible to find out the child's name. I know the mother's name but not the child's.

I am assuming that maintenance would not be claimed until after the birth. Would that be correct or is it possible that the mother could claim before the birth?
ksouthall

Re: Maintenance Payments for Illegitimate Child

Postby SoozOne » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:15 am

I would think a child would have to have been produced to incur maintenance payments. If they were ongoing and you know the mother's name, claiming for maintenance infers she kept the child. Are you able to check census records? A little hard to suggest follow up searches without an approximate timeline as to what's available whenever it was to look at.

Sent from my iPod touch using WDYTYA Forum
SoozOne

Postby Guy » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:49 am

In modern times the child would have to be born first but in the past this was not the case.
I transcribed a few Bastardy Bonds a number of years ago.
(See https://tinyurl.com/38cfyla )

Of these only the bonds for Edward Guy and Richard Speakman were made after the birth of the child.
The bonds for John Whittaker, John Bockin, Thomas Guy, the amended bond for William Watts, and the bonds for John Watson and John Green were taken out during the pregnancy.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby ksouthall » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:27 am

Thanks for your replies. The newspaper article was in March 1926 and the most likely looking birth was December 1926 so it looks like it might not be possible to find the name of the child.

I've tried the 1939 Register but not found any likely people, but the chances are the child could still be alive so would be one of the closed records. The mother could also have married and the child taken on another name.

I just wondered if maintenance payments may have been due because of loss of earnings but I guess that's a more modern concept.
ksouthall

Return to General research queries