Moderator Control Panel ]

Marriage not matching up

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Marriage not matching up

Postby DocRock » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:45 pm

Hi

I don't know if anybody can help me. My Great, Great Grandfather, Henry Broom (b. 1869 in Exeter, Devon) appears to have married Annie Smith (b. 1877 in Neath, Wales) in 1915, I have the marriage certificate to prove so. My problem is on the 1911 census it says that they have been married 14 years, putting it at around 1897! Their son, my Great Grandfather was born in 1908. Can anybody shed any light on why they don't match up.
DocRock

Re: Marriage not matching up

Postby KayFarndon » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:54 pm

You say you have their marriage certificate for 1915, so why are they on the 1911 census together if they were not married until 1915?

Have you checked their ages on the marriage certificate against the 1911 census to see if their dates of birth agree? In 1915 Henry would have been 46 and Annie 38, which is quite late for a marriage, whereas if they had been married for 14 years it would have put their ages at 32 & 24. Did they have other children besides your great grandfather, who, if he was born in 1908 would also be on the 1911 census? Are you sure you have the correct marriage certificate for them.

This is all I can offer, apart from it just being a transcriber's error/slip of the pen, which went unnoticed and I am sure you have been researching this, so sorry if you have already carried out my thoughts.
KayFarndon

Postby coopernicola » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:12 am

Henry & Annie are shown as husband and wife on the 1901 Wales census too. This confirms they were together longer than their marriage certificate suggests. Perhaps one of them was not free to marry until 1915?
I have a great aunt who, much to the surprise of family members, got married in her 50's to the man she had been living with for 30 years. The family had assumed they were married as her husband was known to have died. It seems her second husband was still married so they waited until his wife died to marry legally!
coopernicola

Postby lottie's mum » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:16 am

I have the same in my tree - I had marriage cert in 1885 and it was definitely right but couldn't find them in 1881 on their own. I had found an 1881 census with same forenames but decided it was another Henry and Emma as no children in 1891 matched up (one had died but still looking for the other). It didn't help that Henry and his brother were giving their children the same names even to the extent that they both had a Henry within 1 month of each other and a Caroline within 6 months The new BMD indexes on GRO was my breakthrough - my couple had been lying for years that they were married, on both the 1881 census and also on birth certificates for children in 1879, 1881, 1883 and 1885 before the marriage. This was obviously to cover up the fact that their children were born out of wedlock. Seems things were not so different then
lottie's mum

Return to General research queries