Moderator Control Panel ]

Ancestry DNA

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Ancestry DNA

Postby CJ16 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:33 pm

Hi I'm wondering about using Ancestry DNA I wondered if anyone from the UK has used it? What they thought and if they would recommend it?
CJ16

Re: Ancestry DNA

Postby pete25 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:57 pm

Hi there,

I live in the UK and don't think it's good.
My DNA results and family connections, I believe, are matched with all my green leaf family tree hints.
I don't think my DNA results have told me anything different except my Ethnicity Estimate...this cost me an arm and a leg!

Please wait now before making up your mind to see what others have to say on this topic. This is a very good website with many informed people who will give you informed and honest replies.

All the best,

Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby CJ16 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:56 pm

Thank you for your reply. I wanted to see how other people found it and if it helped them. One reason I'm thinking of doing is because I know I have German relatives but not sure what it will show.
CJ16

Postby meekhcs » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:50 pm

It depends what you want from the service.I believe Ancestry is now linked to Familytree DNA in the USA who were one of the forerunners of DNA testing.

If you are trying to match with other unknown family members rather than just find out your ethnicity then I would recommend going straight to Familytree DNA. I have used them and they proved very effective.

Have a look at their website www.familytreedna it can be a little daunting with all the info on there but they are happy to discuss by email and point you in the right direction.

If you are an annual transcriber to FindmyPast they have an offer link to familytreedna at the moment.
meekhcs

Postby Sylcec » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:34 am

The advantage of FamilyTreeDNA (FTDNA) is that they offer a range of tests. "Family Finder" is their autosomal test, (Ancestry only does autosomal); but for men they also offer a Y-DNA test - a bit pricey but can help you prove or disprove descendancy from a common male ancestor; also MtDNA - which is mitochondrial DNA useful to help find a common direct line female ancestor.
They also offer several surname and geographical projects, and I think you can get a discounted test price if you join one of these projects.
Sylcec

Postby clare-veronica » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:34 pm

I've just got my results from Ancestry, which were: Western Europe 49%, Great Britain 24%, Ireland 9%, Iberian Peninsula 7%, European Jewish 4%, Scandinavia 4% (+other traces 3%).

The two 4% estimates are exactly what I'd have expected from my family research. The rest is a real puzzle. I was expecting minimum 80% GB, and it's absolutely miles out - too far out to be a simple error in my view. Something else is going on here.

Since the smaller figures are accurate I'm not going to dismiss the larger ones yet just because they're such a surprise. I may need help from a professional to interpret them though. 'Tales of the Unexpected' - that's what family history is all about. Isn't that's why we love it?
clare-veronica

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:03 pm

These are *estimates* - last time I looked at a map the UK seemed pretty much part of Western Europe, so I'm not sure what the difference might be between the UK and WE. A lot of Norman ancestry with a dash of Viking would probably do it, wouldn't it? And a big portion of English have Irish descent somewhere.

I think that you're not the only one to get Iberian, by the way.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Fbirder » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:51 pm

FTDNA will accept AncestryDNA data files so that you can search their database for close matches. And it's free!

https://www.familytreedna.com/autosomal-transfer
Fbirder

Postby brunes08 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:39 pm

I've seen and come across several people perplexed by 'Iberian' on their DNA printout. I'm a bit puzzled why this is because if we accept Western European etc, why isn't the Iberian Peninsular classed as part of Western European as it is the furthest west of the continent anyway!! I wonder if it is because of the Moorish and North African element of those countries that shows up in some instances.

Another thing that might be helpful. Just been reading my April issue of WDYTYA magazine. Coming in the May issue will be a section looking at different DNA tests to show what you are 'buying'. It could be useful for those people still considering whether to go ahead or not. Perhaps the article will help with the 'Iberian' puzzle.
brunes08

Postby JaneyH » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:51 am

I've just had an email from Ancestry outlining their new "Genetic Communities" insights, which appear to give a more detailed breakdown than before. I haven't read the 'science' bit yet, but the graphics looked exciting. I'm not sure whether this is yet comparable to the FTDNA regional data for the UK, but it does seem an interesting development.

I'm one of those people whose finger is hovering over the "buy" button but still a little unsure of choice is best for me. I'm a long-term Ancestry subscriber, but thus far all my research (good cover back to 5x great-grandparents, some branches further back) is almost exclusively in England. Sounds like I should wait for the article in the May magazine!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Next

Return to Genealogy chat