Moderator Control Panel ]

Ancestry DNA

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: Ancestry DNA

Postby ianw16 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:24 am

Just to add to the previous replies; I would take the Ancestry ethnicity estimate with a rather large grain of salt. Not that it is inaccurate, just that it is very hard to distinguish between, say, western European and British. Lots of the places involved had Celtic populations. These received admixture from the Romans (most of whom weren't from Italy). Then some (i.e. England & France) had additional admixture from Germany (Saxons & Franks). Those same places then had admixture from the Vikings.
Then the French Vikings (Normans) came to England! And so it goes.
If you want a somewhat more detailed picture of your ethnicity estimate, I would suggest uploading your raw DNA data to GEDmatch (https://www.gedmatch.com/select.php). From the home page, click on 'Generic upload FAST'. The following page offers detailed instructions on how to do this for various types of DNA results, including Ancestry.
It is worth doing a bit of research on the analysis tools available. I used most of them! However, the most appropriate one I could find for a mostly British/ European ancestry, was the Eurogenes K15 ancient genomes tool. There are numerous others.
This is a free site, although I think you can pay for a membership for extra benefits. It'll take a while to go through and find the appropriate tool to use, and what they do, but it is worth it, in my view.
ianw16

Postby ksouthall » Sun May 21, 2017 3:22 pm

My AncestryDNA results arrived yesterday, giving me the following percentages:-

Scandinavia 39%
Great Britain 34%
Iberian Peninsula 13%
West Europe 5%
Ireland 4%
Italy/Greece 2%
Caucasus 1%
Finland/Northwest Russia <1%

I'm not entirely sure what any of this means, but it's interesting to find out.

One thing that came up was that my aunt has been tested and she came out with an "Extremely High" probability of being my mother. We thought they were identical twins so I'm guessing this suggests they are.

Other people have mentioned importing AncestryDNA results into other packages. Could someone explain how to do this, please? How would I get my actual DNA profile?
ksouthall

Postby pete25 » Sun May 21, 2017 3:48 pm

I'm 66% British.
25% Scandinavian &
9% 'other'.
The 9% will be Irish because my 3x & 2x great grandparents (from mum's side) were Irish Immigrants from Dublin.

All very interesting.

Peter.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby pete25 » Sun May 21, 2017 5:30 pm

Here's a link from YouTube on how to upload your Ancestry DNA:

https://youtu.be/0JhT75JjomM

pete25

Postby ksouthall » Sun May 21, 2017 9:36 pm

Thanks Pete. I've uploaded the data to GEDMATCH.COM and the information on there is even more confusing! Interesting though.
ksouthall

Postby pete25 » Sun May 21, 2017 9:52 pm

Hi Ksouthall,

I keep meaning to do mine but not got around to it yet.

I need to as there are a couple of people on Ancestry who want to confirm if my Irish ancestors are related to there's. Obviously my ancestors share the same surname as theres...Levingston(e). My ancestors name was very rare in Ireland and it would be nice to see if we're related.

All the best,

Peter.

pete25

Postby ksouthall » Sun May 21, 2017 10:47 pm

Hello Pete,

There was a discount before Christmas so my cousin's wife and I got 4 kits between us. It saved us quite a lot of money as we paid £61.50 per kit, including postage and packing. Postage and packing was less than usual because it was something like £20 for the first kit with incremental charges for each subsequent kit. (It would have been £13.33 per kit for 3 kits).

If they still do the same incremental increases for P & P, it might be worth clubbing together with other people and ordering a few kits at once.

Katherine
ksouthall

Postby Alexeyporubay » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:09 pm

Imagine how cool it will be if there is an application in which you can download your DNA and search for relatives or people with similar features around the world! How much do you think this application will cost? Find out here: https://www.cleveroad.com/blog/mobile-a ... e-best-one
Alexeyporubay

Previous

Return to Genealogy chat