Moderator Control Panel ]

Mystery Family member

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Mystery Family member

Postby Woolhe » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:36 pm

The attached is a recently found photograph of a family member. Which one we do not know. The photo is actually on glass and I am hoping someone might be able to date the photograph from the style of the lady's dress. Also could anyone confirm whether the child is male or female, my gut reaction it is a boy.

Many thanks in anticipation.
Attachments
unknown victorian002.jpg
unknown victorian002.jpg (632.77 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
Woolhe

Re: Mystery Family member

Postby brunes08 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:55 pm

I just googled 'Victorian photographs on glass'. There are several articles that might help you date your photo. From what I read, it could be dated about the mid-1800s. When I enlarged the photo, the child looks to be wearing trousers so presumably a boy as you thought.
brunes08

Postby ermin79 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:49 pm

The tighter fitting sleeves and high piled hair (or possibly small hat I can't quite tell) on the lady coupled with the large skirt and collar / bow at the neck suggests late 1860s - 1870s. The child looks like a boy to me, as it was common for both boys and girls to wear dresses until they were 5 or 6 years old.

The fact the image is on glass suggests it is an Ambrotype (1850 - 1880s). This website gives you some information to see if this is what you have:
http://blog.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/ ... ambrotype/

Hope that narrows it down a bit
ermin79

Postby Woolhe » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:07 am

Thank you Brunes08 I will certainly google victorian photos on glass. Thank you so much Ermin79, those dates will certainly help. It takes me back a generation further than I thought it might be. Something for me to investigate in my records this evening.

Once again the forum have given me such helpful pointers.
Woolhe

Return to Photo identification