Moderator Control Panel ]

Military History Sheet Abbreviations

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Military History Sheet Abbreviations

Postby MKHogan60 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:32 am

james Hogan 3583_2.jpg
James Hogan_Military Record
james Hogan 3583_2.jpg (403.6 KiB) Viewed 2505 times
Hello,
James Hogan, Year of Birth 1872, Royal Irish Regiment, 2nd Battalion soldier no: 3583 can be found on FMP website or as attached. I need some help with the military history abbreviations.

After 'Appt Paid Lance Corp 22.11.97'. I can’t read what the line underneath says for the 7.12.97

'AR Transferred pte /L/C 26.1.98' What is 'AR'?

Next line: '28.2.99 Rejoined colours on mobilisation under special ?? A O of 2.12.99' Again what does the AO mean??

Also, I have been trying to locate a war diary for the period of time he was in the army but have been unable to find anything online any suggestions would be great.

Many thanks for any assistance.
Maggie
Attachments
James Hogan 3583_3.jpg
James Hogan_Military Record
James Hogan 3583_3.jpg (362.92 KiB) Viewed 2505 times
MKHogan60

Re: Military History Sheet Abbreviations

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:51 am

AR means Army Reserve - he's spent 7 years in uniform, with the Colours, as they said, and he goes back into civilian life to serve the rest of his 12y in this Reserve. That means civilian life except for an occasional training day and if the balloon goes up, he gets mobilised to go back into uniform. Which is what happens, clearly for the Second Boer War.

AO is Army Order - the order inside the Army to do something, In this case probably to mobilise all or specific parts of the Reserve. It won't mention your chap but as a result of it, he'd have got a telegram telling him to return to the Army.

The other line I can neither read nor guess!

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:55 am

War Diaries were only written for War situations so there might be one for the RIR in the 2nd Boer War but I have no idea if they still exist or under what references. But if you read up on researching that war, you might get a clue.

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:51 am

No, still can't read that line!

Incidentally, on the line transferring him into the Army Reserve, it has "Pte (L/C)". The full version of that will be "Private (Lance Corporal)" but I don't know exactly what that implies. At this time, across the vast majority of the Army, Lance Corporal was not a rank but an appointment. The difference is that Corporal and above are ranks from which you can only be demoted by court martial or similar. Appointments such as Lance Corporal can be taken away by your commanding officer if you fail in the job.

Given that guys in the Reserve don't do anything outside those training days, I struggle to see what relevance an appointment of Lance Corporal would have in the Reserve (maybe their retainer payment was a bit more???) and I can't see that there would be any guarantees about getting your single stripe as an LC back if you were called up.

So maybe it's just for information - nominally a private but was an LC previously if you want to consider him for any appointment that you haven't yet filled???

It's the sort of thing that might be worth following up with real Army geeks, not us family historians!

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:57 am

Me again....

See http://www.casus-belli.co.uk/index.asp?PageId=137

From the lower paragraphs there, it looks like War Diaries as such only came in in WW1. I live and learn...

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby junkers » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:20 pm

The line below starts Rawal so it might be Rawalpindi (it sometimes was spelt as two words).
junkers

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:51 pm

I think that you might be right there. I'd decided that the first letter of the first word was R but couldn't see the rest of it. And the first letter of the second word looks like the R but without the diagonal.

They are both oddly formed to my eyes!

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby MaureenE » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:37 pm

I agree with Rawal Pindi as mentioned in the posts above.

The 2nd Battalion is mentioned in India at this time, although Rawalpindi is not specifically stated. in
http://web.archive.org/web/200801130007 ... /018-2.htm from the archived regiments.org website.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby MKHogan60 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:45 am

Thank you everyone for the really helpful replies and this was my first post asking for help. What a team! :D
MKHogan60

Return to Military help