Moderator Control Panel ]

Victorian Prison Temporary Release

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Victorian Prison Temporary Release

Postby Tony67 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:31 pm

In 1856 my ancestor Job Faulkner was sentenced to 18 months imprisonment with hard labour. He lived in Birmingham but as the offence of theft was committed in Gloucestershire his trial and imprisonment took place in Gloucester. Unfortunately during his spell in prison two of his children died. I wonder therefore whether the Victorian prison regulations allowed temporary releases for inmates to attend funerals of close relatives.
Tony67

Re: Victorian Prison Temporary Release

Postby brunes08 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:27 am

I do not know the answer to your specific question about temporary release from prison for a bereavement but I very much doubt it would have been allowed. Prison sentences were to act as a deterrent not for re-habilitation. If you google 'Victorian prison system' you will find many useful links that could help you perhaps find an answer. There is also a good link to the National Archives with guidance.
brunes08

Re: Victorian Prison Temporary Release

Postby MayHam » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:32 pm

Yes, it depended on the circumstances.

In war time, sometimes prisoners were allowed to attend to a close relative who was dying. I believe they had to pay a fee to guarantee their return. However, officers could be released based on their promise and good name.

Not sure about civil incarceration but I would doubt it would happen. If it did, it should be in the court records which in New York State, anyway, are found at the county courthouse. Not sure if it's the same in the UK or not?
MayHam

Return to General research queries