Moderator Control Panel ]

Royal Navy entrance

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Royal Navy entrance

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:10 pm

My ancestor entered the Royal Navy at Plymouth port in 1804, aged 14. I know what he did afterwards, more or less, but is it possible to find out details of where he was living at the point he entered the service? Will I be able to find out who, if anyone, nominated him to the service? I'm assuming there is nothing online but are there appropriate RN entrance records at the NA does anyone know?
Rob

Re: Royal Navy entrance

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:51 pm

Adrian
AdrianB38

Royal Navy entrance

Postby brunes08 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:29 pm

I have two Royal Navy service records for ancestors from the early part of the 1800s which I obtained from the National Archives. On both, the date and place of birth are entered (both from Stonehouse, Plymouth) plus a physical description - which is interesting. Both are under 21 but considered 'men' as far as the entries are concerned. There is no place to enter the names of next of kin.

However, in the section where comments are entered as to their fitness, mentally and physically, for entry to the service there are two sections - one for men and one for boys.

In the section for boys, there is a statement to the effect that consent has been obtained in writing from parents or friends. It goes on to say that they are "willing and desirous that the boy should be entered for 10 years continuous and general service from the age of 18, in addition to whatever periods may be necessary till he attains that age" plus he must be willing himself.

Once completed the form had to be sent on to the Accountant General of the Navy. There is a slight possibility that a letter of consent is still with your ancestor's records.
Hope that helps a little.
brunes08

Re: Royal Navy entrance

Postby Rob » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:35 pm

Thanks for the info, very useful.
Rob

Return to Military help