Moderator Control Panel ]

Anna Myra Anderson from Aberdeen

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Anna Myra Anderson from Aberdeen

Postby Mariner Aus » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:35 pm

Hi everyone

I am doing some research for my partner and her great great grandmother was a lady called:

Anna Myra Anderson (also called Annie)
b. approx 1877 to Aberdeen - Scotland
d. 1st October 1960 Queensland - Australia
Her parents are listed on her death cert as: John Robert Anderson and Jeannie Smith

Annie was born in Aberdeen - Scotland I know for sure (as I have her death cert) and her father was a sea captain as per her wedding cert. The family apparently ended up moving to the Shetlands before they emmigrated to Australia in about 1890. There is also talk that the Anderson family originally came from Norway or Sweden.

I know that Annie married Albert Sydney Charrington in 10th April 1900 in Queensland - Australia,

I would love to find out more information on Annie's birth information and her parents and where they came from.

Thanks for any help I may receive

Regards

Pieter
Mariner Aus

Re: Anna Myra Anderson from Aberdeen

Postby Amazinggrace » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:24 pm

Hi MarinerAus,
I have checked on Scotlands People but can't find a birth for Anna Myra Anderson anywhere.There are 13,982 female Andersons in the right sort of time frame ,but she's not there.
Family search have a few possibles in the census records:

Anna M Anderson b.1874 Forfar
Ann M Anderson b.1877 Kincardineshire
Annie M Anderson b.1880 Aberdeenshire
Ann Anderson b. 1876 St. Nicholas Aberdeen
And the following Ann Andersons all born in 1876 in Aberdeen.
Old Machar, Aberdeen x1
Longside, Aberdeen x1
Methlick, Aberdeen x1
Ellon, Aberdeen x1
Cairney, Aberdeen.x1

Have looked for her parents on the census but they are elusive.
One word of caution,you list her mother as Jeannie. My grandmother was known to all and sundry as Jeannie. Her actual name was Jane.Easy to get caught out.
Good luck with your hunt.
Grace.
Amazinggrace

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:48 pm

Jean, Jeannie, Jane, Janet and Jessie(?) are all pretty interchangeable in Scotland - I'm not saying that you'll find one person with all variants at different times in their lives but some of them...
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Amazinggrace » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:03 pm

Yes AdrianB38 you are spot on. In my family(all scots) there is a Bessie(Elizabeth) a Jessie(Janet) a Nancy(Agnes)the forementioned Jeannie(Jane).And a Dod(George). We scots like to confuse people. :lol: Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby Amazinggrace » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:58 pm

Not sure if this is the one but there is a Jeannie Anderson on the 1881 census at Old Machar, Aberdeen,aged 25. Its on Scotlands people.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby Mariner Aus » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:22 am

Thank you to everyone for your help.

Yes I realise names like Jeannie can be a nightmare but that's all I have to go with based on Anna Myra's marriage and death cert. I will try and pursue the birth's mentioned on scotlands people.

Regards

Pieter
Mariner Aus

Postby Sylcec » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:47 am

Hi there Pieter, a couple of maybe unhelpful queries: you said:
The family apparently ended up moving to the Shetlands before they emigrated to Australia in about 1890.

This sounds like you may not yet have their arrival record. Do you know whether they came into a Queensland port and which one, or, say, Sydney? Although you say "the family" - is it possible that Anna came alone and if not, then which family members came with her? If - IF - her father was a sea captain, then could he have come as crew?

Information on death certificates is only as good as the knowledge of the person giving it, and frankly, not always reliable. Marriage certificate information should be better, but both men and women often inflated the importance of their father's occupations, and even the existence of a legitimate father. Were any of her family members witnesses at Anna Myra's marriage?

Have you found any references to Anna Myra using 'Trove' - there are several, unfortunately unsavoury, articles concerning her husband Albert Sydney Charrington, but haven't found her mentioned yet.
Sylcec

Postby Mariner Aus » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi Sylec

I see you have found the shady character that is Albert Sydney Charrington :-)
You are right though, information passed down can be very dubious but we have nothing else to base the research on. How about searching the records of the Shetland islands? Apparently Anna Myra Anderson lived there before coming to Australia. Her death cert says she had been in Queensland for about 70 years when she passed away in 1960. Further information of where she arrived in Australia and with whom is unknown.

Regards

Pieter
Mariner Aus

Postby Amazinggrace » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:55 pm

Hi MarinerAus,
There is a Jeannie Anderson listed in Yell (Shetland) in the 1881 census on Scotlands People . She is
married to Robert. the ages are to old though I think. Jeannie is 56 and Robert is 60. Could they be relatives? Is that why your Jeannie was in Shetland? Maybe they stayed there with relatives while waiting to depart for Aus.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby Mariner Aus » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:42 am

Hi Grace

The Shetland Robert and Jeannie could possibly be related. Unfortunately, I have no idea where they come from or when they were born or died.

Thanks for searching on my behalf

regards

Pieter
Mariner Aus

Next

Return to General research queries