Moderator Control Panel ]

Devonport place of birth ?

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Devonport place of birth ?

Postby Tcuzz » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:47 pm

Hi am researching Edward Beer or Edward James Beer born devonport 1822 I can find him and his wife from the 1871 census onwards showing him as shipwright and coastgaurd and marriage certificate, I believe I have found he was in the Royal Navy
I have 2 question
I can find no birth certificate for him. any suggestions?
How do I find his full RN/coastgaurd record?

Regards
Tracy
Tcuzz

Re: Devonport place of birth ?

Postby ColinB » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:26 pm

You won't get a birth certificate as registration started in 1837. This baptism looks possible :

James Edward BEER son of John Beer , mason , and Mary, abode Plymouth Dockyard
baptised 12 May 1822 St Andrews Plymouth , said to be born 20 Feb 1822.

As you have the marriage certificate you will know whether the father is correct .
ColinB

Postby junkers » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:14 pm

Part of Devonport was previously known as Stoke Damerel. I am not sure what the situation is currently over Plymouth Record Office but they are building a new one. As far as his career in the Royal Navy and Coast Guard the best place is The National Archives at Kew.
junkers

Postby ksouthall » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:46 pm

The baptism Colin has found looks like it matches up with the marriage of Edward James Beer to Mary Ann Moon in Stoke Damerel in 1848. His father, John Beer, is described as a mason on the baptism record and a stone cutter on the marriage record.

A possible marriage for John Beer is the one to Mary Easterbrook at Stoke Damerel on 13th February 1810. This John Beer was a mason and his wife was a spinster.
ksouthall

Postby Tcuzz » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:15 am

Hi,
Sorry I have not replied sooner. Thank you for the help and guidance I will check them out.

Regards

Tracy
Tcuzz

Return to Military help