Moderator Control Panel ]

Betsy Donaldson (possibly nee Waters), Hull

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby Karen196 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:42 pm

ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1485261280.297364.jpg
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1485261280.297364.jpg (191.66 KiB) Viewed 1063 times

Hi, I need help tracing my 3xGt Grandmother, this is the only piece of evidence I can find of Charlotte Donaldson's mother. 4th line of the census, she appears to be born in Hull, Yorkshire. Betsey is most likely Elizabeth. I have searched the GRO index and Charlotte's mothers maiden name was Waters but I cannot find any further information on Betsy, nor a marriage to William Donaldson. He appears to have remarried after Betsy and had more children.

Any help gratefully received.
Thanks, Karen

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Karen196

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:14 pm

Karen196 wrote:
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1485261280.297364.jpg

Hi, I need help tracing my 3xGt Grandmother, this is the only piece of evidence I can find of Charlotte Donaldson's mother. 4th line of the census, she appears to be born in Hull, Yorkshire. Betsey is most likely Elizabeth. I have searched the GRO index and Charlotte's mothers maiden name was Waters but I cannot find any further information on Betsy, nor a marriage to William Donaldson. He appears to have remarried after Betsy and had more children.

Any help gratefully received.
Thanks, Karen

Karen,
Judging by Betsy's age when Charlotte was born, she could have been a widow when she married William.

Don't forget that the birth registration indexes shows mothers maiden name, NOT her previous married name. For that, you'll have to do a little digging.

See if you can find any marriage of a William Donaldson to a Betsy. Using her surname as the surname of her first husband (e.g. Osborne), see if you can then find a marriage for Betsy Waters to a Mr Osborne. Failing that, look at all parish registers for marriages of William Donaldson to a widowed Betsy, and see if bride's father's name is waters.

Edit: Don't forget that despite what is shown on census, Charlotte could be Betsy's child from a prevous marriage, so she may not be registered as Charlotte Donaldson!

Mick Loney

Re: Betsy Donaldson (possibly nee Waters), Hull

Postby ianbee » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:36 pm

Marriage
Sep 1875 Haslingden 8e 248
Donaldson, William
Waters, Betsy

Lancashire BMD says "Hyndburn Register Office or Registrar Attended"

Theodore was 3 months old on the 1881 census
Looks like he and Ethel were registered as Dollinson
March 1881 Haslingden 8e 172