Moderator Control Panel ]

Baptisms in Derbyshire

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Baptisms in Derbyshire

Postby katebenn » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:20 pm

I have a marriage of Joseph Payne in 1676 at Mackworth, Derbyshire to a Elizabeth Spicer. I can't find her birth or baptism details any where. Does anyone have any details which could help me locate her?

Also the baptism of Elizabeth Smith who married this Joseph's son also Joseph Payne in 1705 at Alvaston, Derbyshire

Joseph's 2nd wife was Elizabeth Mawkin; married in 1733; assuming she was a spinster (not a widow); I can't locate her baptism either.

Any help please?
Kate
katebenn

Re: Baptisms in Derbyshire

Postby brunes08 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:55 pm

Between about 1645 and 1660, there were changes with regards Parish Registers. Under the rule of the Commonwealth, many people disagreed with the changes and also the fees that were then payable. So they didn't have their children baptised. When Charles II was restored to the throne, people went back to the old ways and then had their children baptised. It may be that you have to look for a baptism much later that you would normally.
brunes08

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:13 pm

Mark Herber's Ancestral Trails book puts it as many children were not baptised and some were only baptised when the parish priest returned. Or putting it another way: worst case scenario is that a number were never baptised at all.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ksouthall » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:02 am

Have you checked nonconformist records? My Derbyshire ancestors were nonconformists.
ksouthall

Postby katebenn » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:47 pm

ksouthall wrote:Have you checked nonconformist records? My Derbyshire ancestors were nonconformists.

Thanks
Can you point me in this direction please?
Kate
katebenn

Postby Siann » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:54 pm

Hello Kate

Do try the Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group. They meet every Wednesday morning at Birchwood Chapel, Somercotes, near Alfreton and have a wealth of Derbyshire records.

I mentioned your post to one of the ladies who runs the group (Margaret Brooksbank) who said it would be fine to give you her telephone number. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to post a link to the page which contains her number but if you search for the "Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group" online, it is contained within the home page.

Good luck with your searches.

Siann
Siann

Postby MayHam » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:27 am

I guess you already know "Eliz." Smith's marriage record says she's from the parish of Boulton?
Elizabeth Spicer's doesn't say so I'm guessing she was from the parish of Mackworth where she married.
http://freereg2.freereg.org.uk/

However, Familysearch says Elizabeth Spicer was married in Kedleston.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KB6C-QZN

Couldn't find their baptisms online, though.
MayHam

Return to General research queries