Moderator Control Panel ]

John Smith Mackay

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: John Smith Mackay

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:00 pm

ianbee wrote:There was certainly something irregular about his second marriage ...

The Great British talent for understatement...

So is the marriage to the "nineteen years-old girl employed in the same house as himself", the same marriage as the irregular marriage to a 19y old girl in Scotland? Seems likely... And one might add, that tends to increase the likelihood of some statements being less than wholly exact.... Still, "Apart from these incidents, his character had been excellent."
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:32 pm

More seriously, I have difficulty in getting my head round the registrations...

Assuming Ian has the correct index entries, then the bigamous marriage in Q4 1928 is registered before the birth is registered in Q1 1929. Yet the newspaper article reverses that order - assuming that Annie is indeed the parlourmaid. I can only imagine that the birth is registered quite late.

That registration has 2 surnames in the index - normally meaning that the parents aren't married but the father is present and consents to be recorded as the father. That would figure if it's referring to the situation as at the birth.

It's the re-registration that really puzzles me. I thought that the usual reason for re-registration was to record a subsequent marriage. Yet here there is just one name, which is the mother's maiden name only. At a guess, it sounds like the re-registration has removed the father's name.... Which is a new one on me.

Crikey... While I'm really interested in this case as a piece of learning, I can't help feeling that the parties concerned were being put through the mill emotionally.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby selprof » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:13 pm

ianbee wrote:There was certainly something irregular about his second marriage.
Bit of background for the rest of us
Marriage, Dec 1928 Freebridge L. 4b 196
Elsey, Annie A.
Mackay, John S.

Birth of son Donald H. in March qtr 1929, Freebridge Lynn, indexed under both Elsey and Mackay
re-registration of said son in Dec 1930 as Elsey, Donald H., mother Elsey, and a handwritten note also made in the Dec qtr 1928 index

Second marriage for Annie
Dec 1932 Freebridge L. 4b 828
Elsey, Annie A.
Meek, John W. C.

Story in various newspapers in October 1930 -
Butler's Bigamy
Embezzlement Follows Second Marriage
At Berkshire Assizes at Reading to-day, John Smith MacKay (37), a butler, who pleaded guilty to bigamy and embezzlement, was sentenced to six months' in the second division on each charge, the sentences to run concurrently.
MacKay, it was stated, married a nineteen years-old girl employed in the same house as himself, and afterwards disappeared. Subsequently he entered the service of a Norfolk family and went through a form of marriage with a young parlourmaid who had previously given birth to a child.
He next came on the scene at Springfield, Berkshire, and embezzled £7, the proceeds of rent which he had collected for his employer. He absconded but gave him-self up to the police at Glasgow. Apart from these incidents, his character had been excellent.
MacKay offered the court no explanation.
Mr Justice Hawke: That is a pity.
selprof

Postby AntonyM » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:28 pm

Re-registrations can be done for two main reasons - one is to legitimise a birth after the later marriage of the parents, and the other is to add an unmarried father who doesn't appear on the original registration.

But re-registrations can also be done on the instruction of the registrar general for other reasons.

To understand exactly what has happened you need to look at the original 1929 registration and the 1930 re-registration and compare them.

The indexing under both names in 1929 suggests the birth was registered as being to unmarried parents, and then after the bigamy case the mother re-registered without the father's details (no doubt under the direction of the RG).
AntonyM

Postby selprof » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:29 pm

Thank you... all of the above is correct! (You've managed to find it all very quickly!). And yes there is the old adage of a leopard never changing it's spots...[WINKING FACE]however, we still can't locate his birth or death! Something is awry somewhere! We started this search in the days pre-Ancestry when you had to go to London to find a fraction of the information available today!

The second marriage...to AA Elsey (later Meek) was annulled when it transpired he was already married 1925 hence the certificate. The birth entry for DH Elsey was reregistered under the Legitimacy Act of 1926 under his mother's name as the marriage technically doesn't exist, and therefore his son couldn't take his father's name.

I have a marriage certificate which could potentially be his parents but I have no way of knowing with any level of certainty!

And yet it all eludes us! [JAPANESE OGRE]

ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1485181612.838809.jpg
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1485181612.838809.jpg (207.04 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
selprof

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:31 pm

Have you looked for those parents in censuses on ScotlandsPeople? Presumably? Or any other birth registrations to them? Though I have an idea that it's not easy to do a birth with maiden name search in ScotlandsPeople...

What about how many marriages are there in Scotland between a bride and groom with those names? If there's only the one such couple, I'd try to find out as much as I could about them - for instance did one die early on and John actually belongs to one of those two and another...?

Could they have been in Ireland? The IrishGenealogy site covers both the North and the Republic with free certificates up to 1922, after which it's the Republic only.

I'm just throwing ideas out... Possibly ideas that you've had already.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:06 pm

Bother - there is no birth registration search by maiden name in ScotlandsPeople...
Adrian
AdrianB38

Previous

Return to General research queries