Moderator Control Panel ]

Deaths of John & Sarah Chard

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Deaths of John & Sarah Chard

Postby philmcleod47 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:18 pm

Solving the jigsaw mystery of the deaths of John & Sarah Chard

I am seeking some help trying to find what happened to my 3 x great grandparents John & Sarah Chard. I have some information that I believe is 100% correct and lots of bits that partially fit together but then fail in way one of another.

My great x 2 grandfather James McLeod married a Sarah Chard, the widow of Thomas Hawkins, on 23 Sep 1846 in Burlescombe, Devon. The 1841 census shows Sarah at Tilberry Farm, Bishops Lydeard with Thomas Hawkins whom she married Dec 1841.

Mary’s parents John & Sarah were also at Tilberry Farm and John was recorded in the Electoral Roll there until 1846. John & Sarah’s ages are shown in 1841 as 60 which would indicate births around 1776 to 1780

Census returns of 1851 and after generally show Mary Chard as born in in Combe Raleigh, Devon and there was a baptism of a Mary Chard in Combe Raleigh in 1817. Combe Raleigh was also the birthplace of James Mcleod, so it is logical.

It appears that John & Sarah were married in Uffculme, Devon on 3 Feb 1806 and Sarah was Sarah White, only 8 miles north of Combe Raleigh.

I am sure the above is correct but now it gets a little less certain.

A Sarah White, daughter of Lawrence White & Anne Potter was baptised in Broadhembury, 3 miles north of Combe Raleigh, in 1775 (age about right). Lawrence White & Anne Potter were married in Broadhembury in 1772, only 4 miles north of Broadhembury.

In the 1851 census there is only one Sarah Chard that in anyway fits, in Holcombe Rogus, Somerset, 12 miles south of Tilberry Farm. Her birth date is 1775 and birth is Broadhembury so it seems to fit. However she is shown as married but not with her husband. This Sarah Chard died in 1853 in Ashbrittle (near Holcombe Rogus) and her death certificate shows her as age 77, wife of John Chard, so birth again fits at 1775/1776.

If we now seek John Chard in 1851, again there is only one possibility, that in anyway fits, in Sampford Arundell, Wellington, 4 miles east of Holcombe Rogus. He is shown as age 71 so again the age fits. However he also is shown as married but not with his wife. He is also shown as a butcher whereas previously he was always a farmer. Again it would seem that this could be my John and he and Sarah were living apart for some reason, maybe only short ter. This John Chard died in 1860 in Woodlands Cottage, Wellington, Somerset and his death certificate shows his as age 77, so birth again fits at around 1782.

The above looks highly possible except for the following.

John Chard who died in 1860 left a will that showed his widow was a Charlotte Chard. Further research shows that John Chard, a widower aged 69, married a Charlotte Dyer (a spinster aged 48) in Taunton on 11 Jan 1853. This time his age is at least 7 years adrift. However, more importantly, if this John was previously married to Sarah, she did not die till July 1853 so is this a different John or was he separated from Sarah and bigamously married again.

I have been searching for the deaths of John & Sarah for a few years and so far this is the only scenario that I can find as there are no other deaths that in any way fit.

Can anyone offer any suggestions of how to proceed?
philmcleod47

Re: Deaths of John & Sarah Chard

Postby sdup26 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:56 pm

I'm a bit confused by the first part of your post, so I'd be grateful if you could clarify. You ask for information on your 3xgt.GP's John and Sarah Chard.
You say your 2xgt.GF was James McLeod, who married Sarah Hawkins, widow of Thomas Hawkins, in 1846. You then say that Sarah is on the 1841 census with Thomas, and that they'd married in 1841. James McLeod actually married Mary Hawkins in 1846, and Mary Chard married Thomas Hawkins in the Dec quarter of 1841.
In your 3rd para, you refer to 'Mary's parents, John and Sarah.' Do you mean the Mary who married Thomas Hawkins, then James McLeod, or another Mary?
In 1851, James' wife Mary says she was born in Combe Raleigh: there's a baptism for a Mary Chard in Combe Raleigh 1817, parents John, a dairyman, and Sarah. Mary's husband James was born in Honiton according to the 1851 census, and there's a baptism for a James Macleod in Honition, Sept 1807, parents Peter and Hannah Macleod.
I haven't looked any further, in case I'm wrong about James and Sarah/Mary.
sdup26

Postby philmcleod47 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:45 pm

Sorry if it is confusing.
Mary Chard was the daughter of John & Sarah Chard
In Jun 1841 census, John & Sarah Chard were living in Tilberry Farm, Bishops Lydeard with daughter Mary and lodger Thomas Hawkins
Mary Chard married Thomas Hawkins in Dec1841
Thomas Hawkins died in 1844
Mary Hawkins (nee Chard) then married James McLeod in 1846
I have all the details of James McLeod & Mary including baptism, marriage and death certificates acquired by working back from my own family so I am confident that all that is correct.
I do not need any more information about Mary. It is her parents John & Sarah that are difficult to prove after 1841 for Sarah & 1846 for John, who was in the Electoral Register at Tilberry farm till 1846.
I have searched all the deaths of John & Sarah Chards and census records and also remarriages throughout England & Wales
As I attempted to explain in the last half of my post, the only possible John & Sarah Chard that I can find were living apart in 1851 and that John appears to have remarried 6 months before the death of Sarah.
The death certificates for the John & Sarah that I have seem to indicate this John & Mary were related as Sarah's shows she was the wife of John Chard, a Yeoman (farmer with land) and John's shows his occupation as a Yeoman. However as said before this John remarried in Jan 1863, 6 months before the death of Sarah.
Hope this clarifies a bit
philmcleod47

Postby philmcleod47 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:49 pm

Having reread my original post I see my error. My 3rd para should have referred to Mary Chard, not Sarah Chard. I can see why you were confused
Phil
philmcleod47

Postby MayHam » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:02 am

Do you happen to know who this Mary Chard is with the family of William Hawkins?
1841 Norton Hall, Midsomer Norton, Clutton, Somerset, England
Mary Chard, Female, 18, 1823, Somerset, England
http://search.findmypast.com/record?id= ... 0003314162

I'm wondering if she is related to Sarah (nee Selway), widow of John Chard?
1841 Chilcompton, Clutton, Somerset, England
Sarah Chard, Female, 35, 1806, Somerset, England
Charles Chard, Male, 18, 1823, Somerset, England (Farmer)
Frances Chard, Male, 15, 1826, Somerset, England
William Franks, Male, 15, 1826, Somerset, England (Labourer)
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?i ... 0003309203

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Ston Easton, Clutton, Somerset, England
John Manning, Head, W, Male, 49, 1802, Farmer Of 130 Acres Employ 9 Labourers, George Nympton, Devon, England
Sarah Card, Servant, W, Female, 50, 1801, House Keeper, Stratton on the foss, Somerset, England
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?i ... 0009997818

County: Somerset
Place: Stratton-on-the-Fosse
Church name: St Vigor
Register type: Parish Register
Register entry number: 381
Burial date: 14 Jan 1859
Person age: 60
Burial person forename: Sarah
Burial person surname: CHARD
Burial person abode: Stone Easton
http://freereg2.freereg.org.uk/

Her husband ~
Register entry number: 190
Burial date: 19 Dec 1835
Person age: 41
Burial person forename: John
Burial person surname: CHARD
Burial person abode: Broadway Parish of Chilcompton

They were married ~
Register entry number: 34
Marriage date: 27 Dec 1820
Groom forename: John
Groom surname: CHARD
Groom condition: widower
Groom parish: Chilcompton
Bride forename: Sarah
Bride surname: SELWAY
Bride condition: spinster
Bride parish: of this parish
Witness: James SELWAY
Witness: Joseph CHARD
Register note: Licence with consent of parents; additional witness: G PURNELL

I can't find Charles or Mary's baptism but Francis is listed ~
Register entry number: 146
Baptism date: 27 Jun 1824
Person forename: Francis
Person sex: ?
Person abode: Broadway
Father forename: John
Father surname: CHARD
Father occupation: Farmer
Mother forename: Sarah

Also, their sister, Emma ~
Register type: Bishop's Transcripts
Register entry number: 339
Baptism date: 13 Dec 1835
Person forename: Emma
Person sex: F
Person abode: Chilcompton
Father forename: John
Father surname: CHARD
Father occupation: Mason
Mother forename: Sarah
MayHam

Postby philmcleod47 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:22 am

Reply to mayhem
Sorry but I do not know anything about the Chards of Stratton on the Fosse or Clutton other than the fact that they are not closely related to my John & Sarah. If we went back more generations there may be connections but Chard is not uncommon in Somerset
philmcleod47

Postby MayHam » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:23 pm

I ask because I notice in 1841 The Chards said the were born in Somerset.

1841 Tilberry, Bishops Lydeard, Taunton, Somerset, England
John Chard, Male, 60, 1781, Somerset, England (Farmer)
Sarah Chard, Female, 60, 1781, Somerset, England
Mary Chard, Female, 20, 1821, Somerset, England
John Chard, Male, 8, 1833, Somerset, England
Thomas Hawkins, Male, 35, 1806, Somerset, England (Independent)
Thomas Norrish, Male, 30, 1811, Somerset, England (Independent)
Ann Norrish, Female, 30, 1811, Somerset, England (Independent)
John Lang, Male, 15, 1826, Somerset, England (Servant)
http://search.findmypast.com/record?id= ... 0003411003

You mentioned John Sr. was registered there until 1846. Do you know when he began?
MayHam

Postby philmcleod47 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:23 pm

Thanks for reply. I know that the 1841 census shows birth for them all as Somerset but the 1841 census was often inaccurate as people were not familiar with county boundaries and the enumerator often just ticked the box for "in county" birth. Also all their correct places of birth were within 5 miles of the Somerset border. Mary always gave Combe Raleigh or Devon in later censuses
I know I have the correct family in Tilberry and John was there in 1833 on the electoral roll. The point that makes it certain is that Mary Chard was there and Thomas Hawkins, her first husband was there as a lodger. I have marriage certificates for Thomas & Mary & for James McLeod and Mary where her father is shown as John Chard. James McLeod & Mary moved to a farm at Westleigh, near Burlescombe, and that ties up with every document I have regarding their children including Metropolitan Police Service records.
The only possibly related person I have no details of on the 1841 census is the John Chard, born 1833. He may have been an illegitimate son of Marys or possibly a great nephew of John & Sarah. He does not crop up in later censuses with Mary so I suspect he was not her son.
Hope this clarifies
philmcleod47

Postby MayHam » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:43 pm

Thank you. I was curious because Mary's 1817 birth was the last record I could find for John & Sarah in Combe Raleigh.

I'm sure you know her siblings Sarah 1 Oct 1809-29 Oct 1809 and John 7 Apr 1811 were also baptised there, which fits with the 1806 marriage of John Chard and Sarah White.
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?i ... p%2f222292
http://search.findmypast.com/record?id= ... r%2f171946
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?i ... p%2f222303

There was a John Chard baptised in Honiton in 1835, son of William & Elizabeth. I suspect this William was a son of John & Sarah.
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?i ... 056300%2f1

If John was born in Hemyock like he says in the 1851 census he may be the son of William & Elizabeth.
Name: John Chard
Christening Date: 30 Jan 1780
Christening Place: HEMYOCK,DEVON,ENGLAND
Father's Name: William Chard
Mother's Name: Elizabeth
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NRMH-F9V

Is it possible John and Sarah were divorced?
MayHam

Postby philmcleod47 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:56 pm

I doubt if John & Sarah were divorced as on Sarah's death certificate it states she is the WIFE of John Chard and on Johns marriage certificate to Charlotte he states he is a Widower. In any case divorce in 1850 would still have cost lots of money and I thought required an act of parliament. Divorce reform whilst being discussed in 1853, did not come in till the 1857 Divorce Reform Act
It certainly looks possible that John & Sarah were separated and John thought he could remarry and get away with it as the marriage was 10 miles away and he lied about his age, although this would also be because of the 20 years + age difference. He may also have know that Sarah was ill and expected her to die sooner or even thought she was dead. She died of Dropsy which she may have had for some time.
Also Sarah was shown in 1851 census as a "housekeeper" for a John Cork aged about the same as Sarah, and his 2 unmarried sons in their 40s. The term housekeeper meant many things in the 19th c and many times I've seen it used where the housekeeper was actually living as man & wife. If this was the case then John may have felt justified in marrying Rebecca.
I doubt we will ever know unless alternative and credible deaths for John & Sarah are found.
philmcleod47

Next

Return to General research queries