Moderator Control Panel ]

James William Warren b1901

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

James William Warren b1901

Postby Leigh Warren » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:38 am

I hope someone can assist ...

I am trying to find out what happened to my great uncle James William Warren after he arrived in Port Arthur in Texas as a crewman on the vessel Let Coq. He is the brother of my grandfather John Golden Warren. This side of the family is rather elusive.

The facts that I have are...
James William Warren born 1qtr 1901 Poplar
Baptised 13th Jan as William James Warren - yes that is the correct baptism, it is his correct parents listed and at the correct address - 36 Fern St Bromley.
Parents: Richard George Warren and Ada Elizabeth (nee Hands) (she's another mystery)

3 Mar 1901 - Census has him as James W Warren aged 3 months again living at 36 Fern St, with his parents, and 2 of his brothers - one being my grandfather John Golden Warren - I know this to be correct.

2 Apr 1911 - Census has him as Jim Warren aged 10yrs living at 16 Fern St, with his parents and 5 brothers - one being m grandfather John Golden Warren and 1 sister - I know this to be correct.

From here it a little sketchy and is where I need the gaps filled if possible...
9 Dec 1919 - I have him leaving Marseilles France - Departure from France to Texas USA, Seaman on vessel Let Coq - don't know how he got to France.

11 Jan 1920 - Arrived Port Arthur Texas - Seaman on vessel Let Coq was a member of crew.

Old family rumour was that he ran overseas to California and the gold rush and died there, however I have him as a crew member of the Vessel Let Coq N/K if this was military tho don't think so.

I cannot trace him from Britain to France only leaving France and arriving in Texas. I cannot find or trace him after Port Arthur Texas in January 1920.

I have tried both Ancestry and FindMyPast. Ancestry gave me the above and FindMyPast gave me nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Leigh
Leigh Warren

Re: James William Warren b1901

Postby Leigh Warren » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:11 am

no worries thanks
Leigh Warren

Postby sdup26 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:26 pm

I can't find a James William, but is this worth further investigation?
1930 US Census, New Jersey, Hudson District 0137
William Warren, age last birthday 29, (1901) born England, parents born England. Wife Nellie 27, Canadian, daughters Gloria and Lois born New Jersey.
They're still in New Jersey in 1940, but districts 24-227.
sdup26

Postby MoVidger » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:50 pm

Regarding the family rumour that your great uncle went to California "and the gold rush", do you know anymore about that? Because the California Gold Rush ended in 1855.
Instead, could he have gravitated to one of the Pacific Northwest states (e.g. Idaho), for the mining opportunities there, in the early 20th-century? (My friend has a family tree member who is listed as a "miner" in the 1910 and 1920 census for Idaho. Presumably he was a silver miner).
MoVidger

Postby Leigh Warren » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:54 pm

MoVidger wrote:Regarding the family rumour that your great uncle went to California "and the gold rush", do you know anymore about that? Because the California Gold Rush ended in 1855.
Instead, could he have gravitated to one of the Pacific Northwest states (e.g. Idaho), for the mining opportunities there, in the early 20th-century? (My friend has a family tree member who is listed as a "miner" in the 1910 and 1920 census for Idaho. Presumably he was a silver miner).

Thanks, I think that was just what was said unfortunately there is no one who can provide any light. Both myself, my cousins and remaining Aunties (overseas) don't know anything about granddads siblings or their? families. I don't even have any photos of granddads family other than my great grandmother (his mum). I cannot even trace her beyond marriage with any certainty - mums side of the family no worries photos and all easy.

The only thing I know about James William Warren is the documentation that I found (Ancestry) having him leaving Marseilles France and arriving in Port Arthur Texas stating that he was a crew member on the ship Le Coq.

I'm doing the family tree (hv for many years) and I hv only just managed to get a picture of one of granddads brothers by chance.

signed frustrated - Leigh :(
Leigh Warren

Postby Leigh Warren » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:00 pm

sdup26 wrote:I can't find a James William, but is this worth further investigation?
1930 US Census, New Jersey, Hudson District 0137
William Warren, age last birthday 29, (1901) born England, parents born England. Wife Nellie 27, Canadian, daughters Gloria and Lois born New Jersey.
They're still in New Jersey in 1940, but districts 24-227.

No worries will see if I can find out more... James William Warren did have a brother William b1910 - Nil else known).

Do death certificates list their mothers maiden name as his mothers maiden name was Hands. On marriage certificates do they list the fathers name as his fathers name was Richard George Warren occupation Plasterer or Mechanical Plasterer.

Many thanks - Leigh
Leigh Warren

Postby Leigh Warren » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:46 pm

I think maybe if myself or someone could find out when the ship he was a crew member on (Let Coq) left Port Arthur and or where she sailed to that might help. As then it may list him as a crew member still.

If it doesn't list him as a crew member then I know (maybe) that he stayed in Port Arthur Texas then continued on from there.

I've attached the documents from the ship that I found. On page 2 I can't quite understand the answers on Purpose of Coming to United States

Leigh
Attachments
TXM1359_19-0834.jpg
Pg 2 of 2 from ship
TXM1359_19-0834.jpg (364.75 KiB) Viewed 1767 times
TXM1359_19-0833.jpg
Pg 1 of 2 from ship
TXM1359_19-0833.jpg (370.17 KiB) Viewed 1767 times
Leigh Warren

Postby MoVidger » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:12 am

The SS Le Coq was an oil tank vessel, equipped to carry 4,700 tons of oil. Circa 1918-ish, it would have carried shipments of crude oil and refinery products from Port Arthur, Texas (among other Gulf of Texas and Louisiana ports). Could your great uncle have remained on board the SS Le Coq after it's loading of fuel in Port Arthur? Some of the destinations for these vessels would have been places like Philadelphia, England, and Europe.

A shipping firm named Lane & McAndrew (3 Gracechurch Street, London) managed a fleet of oil tank vessels, including the SS Le Coq.
MoVidger

Postby Leigh Warren » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:16 am

MoVidger wrote:The SS Le Coq was an oil tank vessel, equipped to carry 4,700 tons of oil. Circa 1918-ish, it would have carried shipments of crude oil and refinery products from Port Arthur, Texas (among other Gulf of Texas and Louisiana ports). Could your great uncle have remained on board the SS Le Coq after it's loading of fuel in Port Arthur? Some of the destinations for these vessels would have been places like Philadelphia, England, and Europe.

A shipping firm named Lane & McAndrew (3 Gracechurch Street, London) managed a fleet of oil tank vessels, including the SS Le Coq.

The information above that I have posted is all that I have. I just cannot find him even leaving England to goto Marseilles even if it is on the SS Let Coq. I cannot find him leaving Port Arthur and traveling else where be it on the SS Let Coq or not.

Apart from the attachments I have included this is from Galveston Historical facility I think. http://ghf.destinationnext.com/immigration/SearchDetails.aspx?ID=58193

Record #: 58193
Arrival Date: Jan 11 1920
Family Name: WARREN
Name Age Sex Occupation
JAMES W. 19 M SEAMAN
Destination: PORT ARTHUR,TX
Departure: MARSEILLES Departure Date: 12/9/1919
Origin: UNITED KINGDOM Ship: LET COQ
Comments: SHIP ARR. PORT ARTHUR,TX/TATTO:BACK OF FOREARMS
Citation: INSMF-19-D
Rec: NA
Source: NATIONAL ARCHIVES RECORD GROUP 85, MICROCOPY 1359, ROLL #19
People: 1
Destination Area: TEXAS
Origin Area: GREAT BRITAIN

I will see if I can trace the Shipping Company.

Many thanks for the information you found.

Leigh
Leigh Warren

Postby MoVidger » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:14 pm

This might help with your search:

The SS Le Coq sailed from Port Arthur to the port of Norfolk, VA (arriving there in June 1920). Then in August 1920, it sailed from Norfolk to Bordeaux, France.

The vessel appears to have made very similar annual journeys like this a century ago. Usually loading up in Port Arthur, then stopping off in East Coast ports (e.g. Norfolk, Philadelphia, Newport, New York)) before travelling back to England or Europe.

In the case of my own relative, he appears in a similar manifest of alien passengers, arriving in New York during WW2. He worked on the SS Aquitania as a pantry cook. He never settled in the USA. He returned to the UK on the same ship. But anyone looking at that manifest now might assume he remained in the USA, which never happened.
MoVidger

Next

Return to General research queries