Moderator Control Panel ]

East India Company records online

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

East India Company records online

Postby Editor » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:38 pm

I've just been given one week's access to a great new digital resource that will only be available at academic libraries and institutions. It's a large tranche of records from the India Office collection at the British Library relating to the East India Company. I haven't managed to find any of my family in the records but I'm happy to have a sneaky peak for anyone who knows they had family who worked for the East India Company or might have had some dealing with them. Just reply to this post with the details you have and I'll give it a go. It would be fun to give this resource a good run for its money and see if it could be useful for genealogists.

Thanks

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Re: East India Company records online

Postby MoVidger » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:01 pm

Hello Sarah - please could you look up my 4 x great-grandfather? I would be very grateful for any information you find. Many thanks!

Name: Thomas HALFORD
East India Company - London warehouses
Date of appointment: 9 December 1818
Register number: 2949
Position: Labourer
Age at recruitment: 22
MoVidger

Postby Editor » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi MoVidger, thanks for replying to this. Now that I've spent a bit more time with the records I can see that it's going to be trickier than I thought. The search field only seems to search printed documents and doesn't seem to include manuscript (handwritten) documents which is pretty much all of the documents for 1818 and thereabouts. I've had a quick browse but there are so many documents it's hard to work out which one would include your ancestor. It also looks as if most of the people I'm coming across are higher rank than labourers so it may be that labourers don't appear in the records.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Editor » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi MoVidger, I've found some indexes which are really helpful but no sign of your ancestor I'm afraid.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby MoVidger » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:09 pm

Hi Sarah - no worries. Thank you for trying. (In case my ancestor is lurking in those records, he was born in Isleworth, and became an EIC pensioner by 1841. Not sure if those details help at all).
MoVidger

Postby junkers » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:59 pm

Editor wrote:I've just been given one week's access to a great new digital resource that will only be available at academic libraries and institutions. It's a large tranche of records from the India Office collection at the British Library relating to the East India Company. I haven't managed to find any of my family in the records but I'm happy to have a sneaky peak for anyone who knows they had family who worked for the East India Company or might have had some dealing with them. Just reply to this post with the details you have and I'll give it a go. It would be fun to give this resource a good run for its money and see if it could be useful for genealogists.

Thanks

Sarah

But why can they only be seen at "academic libraries and institutions"?. This seems a bit restrictive.
junkers

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:23 pm

junkers wrote:... But why can they only be seen at "academic libraries and institutions"?. This seems a bit restrictive.

But lots of things are like that - try accessing background data on JSTOR and you probably won't be able to, while the original 19th Century newspapers from Gale are academic and institution only - it's just that many libraries allow internet access for their members.

If it's aimed at academia and needs to be funded at academic levels..... Sounds to me like this stuff is aimed at academics who are interested in high-level events and policies, etc., and any individual data is just a by-product. Sarah's comment that "most of the people I'm coming across are higher rank than labourers" seems to suggest this.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:10 pm

Could this be it?
British LIbrary Untold lives blog
17 January 2017
Major new digital resource for the India Office Records
http://blogs.bl.uk/untoldlives/2017/01/ ... cords.html

Gale's original 19th Century Newspapers has now moved on, and extends to 1950!
Ian
ianbee

Postby Editor » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:23 am

Hi ianbee, yes that is the dataset. Thanks for pointing me to that blog. Very interesting! Yes, the material has been digitised for academic use rather than family history use, but the more I look at it the more names I'm coming across. The trouble is the names haven't always been indexed (although some have). The report from the asylum included in the BL blog just shows how rich some of this material is. I've also come across letters from officials (some of fairly low standing) complaining about their pay so, although I suspect you would be very lucky to come across a labourer in the records, if your ancestor was of higher rank, they could possible be in the records but it would difficult to find them. I feel a name indexing project is needed...

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby SDV » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:05 am

Hi

I would be interested in any information about John DANIEL(S), who was discharged from the EI Company army in 1855. For more details see the thread below, entitled East Indian Company Pensioner.
SDV

Next

Return to General research queries