Moderator Control Panel ]

Interpreting Ronald BLEANEY birth certificate

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Interpreting Ronald BLEANEY birth certificate

Postby Philips » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:39 am

I'm researching Katherine Maud Constance BLEANEY nee HORTON and her children Eileen Constance BLEANEY and Ronald George Frank Foster BLEANEY who emigrated from Kent to Australia in 1926.

In particular, I'm looking for advice on the birth certificate for Ronald.

Katherine Maud Constance HORTON was born Hobart 8 Dec 1885. Parents Alfred HORTON and Katherine Mary GOSLING had married 9 April 1884 in England. Have not located these names in England census records for 1891 or 1901, but have for 1911 and Katherine marries in 1907, so presumably they returned to England after 1901.

In 1907 Katherine Maud HORTON married Frederick BLEANEY (born 1878); 1909 Bernard Frederick BLEANEY born Luton, Bedfordshire; birth record shows mother’s former name HORTON; 1910 Maud and Frederick formally separate (June), not known if they divorced – Luton newspapers record acrimonious court proceedings; 1911 Eileen Constance BLEANEY born first quarter, West Ashford, Kent; birth record shows mother’s former name HORTON. It is probable Frederick is the father.

1911 census has Katherine Maud BLEANEY (born Hobart Town, Tasmania) as housekeeper, with infant son Bernard Frederick (born Luton) (census address 38 Osborne Rd, Willesborough, Ashford, Kent).

1913 Ronald George Frank Foster BLEANEY born Maidstone, Kent. The birth certificate for Ronald records that:
• the registration of Ronald’s birth was by the mother, Katherine Maud Constance BLEANEY.
• Katherine’s former name is given as FOSTER. Her former name should be HORTON.
• George BLEANEY, Watchmaker Master, is recorded as the father. I can't find any record of a George Bleaney, watchmaker, in births, deaths and marriages, or in census records.

So my query is whether birth records could be registered with inaccurate information - in this case, I believe both the mother's former name and the father's name are incorrect.

There was a George John FOSTER, b 1865, Watchmaker, 26 North St, Ashford, Kent, at this time. 1911 census has him married, 3 children, but no wife named with him on the census record. The 1901 census has him with wife Mary. I can't find a Mary FOSTER living elsewhere that might be his wife in the 1911 census, but nor can I find a death record for her.

1926 Katherine Maud Bleaney and two children, Eileen and Ronald, emigrate to Australia (first child Bernard remaining in England). Ship’s papers record that Katherine Bleaney (housewife, 40), Eileen Bleaney (14) and Ronald Bleaney (12) departed England 3 August 1926 for Fremantle, ship Hobsons Bay. Previous address 26 North St, Ashford, Kent.

Given this address is also George Foster's 1911 address, and given how Ronald is named (Ronald George Frank Foster Bleaney), is it reasonable to speculate that George is Ronald's father? And I have wondered if, by giving her former name as Foster, she is looking to pass as his daughter (she is 20 years younger than him).

Katherine Maud BLEANEY died in Australia in 1958 and at that time her former name was given as HORTON and not FOSTER, which simply seems to confirm the inaccurate former name she put on Ronald's birth record.

Finally, I can find her mother Katherine Mary HORTON is in the West Ashford House, Public Assistance Institution, Kent, West Ashford R.D. in 1939 – widowed, incapacitated (1939 Register) but I can't find her subsequent death - any suggestions?
Philips

Re: Interpreting Ronald BLEANEY birth certificate

Postby AntonyM » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:04 am

The birth registration is an informant led process, so the information would be whatever she decided to give. If she is the only informant, and the father is named, then you can be certain that she was claiming to be married to him.

There would be no requirement for her to prove any of the information she gave.
AntonyM

Re: Interpreting Ronald BLEANEY birth certificate

Postby dougcampbell13@bigpond.com » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:35 pm

I douglas ronald paton campbell, son of Eileen Constance maud Campbell nee Bleaney. Nephew to Ronald Bleaney, late Adelaide South Australia. I am unsure of your relationship with my uncle Ron, therefore i would like more information about you before opening conversation.
dougcampbell13@bigpond.com

Return to General research queries