Moderator Control Panel ]

Would Ancestry be any use to me?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Would Ancestry be any use to me?

Postby Amazinggrace » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:14 pm

Can anyone advise me on whether A subscription to Ancestry would benefit me.
All of the inormation I have I have got from Scotlands People, which I have found to be brilliant.
Except for a smattering on my mothers side in Co. Down northern Ireland, all ancestors are scottish as am I.Is Ancestry better for english records? If so it would be a waste of money for me.
Thanks
Grace
Amazinggrace

Re: Would Ancestry be any use to me?

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:55 pm

So far as I know, Ancestry has virtually nothing for Scotland that isn't in ScotlandsPeople. Indeed all Ancestry has for Scotland is (so far as I remember) text indexes - the images are only on ScotlandsPeople - this is a very definite strategy from SP in not letting their stuff out to anyone else.

There may be some Scottish stuff on Ancestry and not in SP but I can't think of much other than military. Ditto FindMyPast. Merchant seamen stuff for Scots seamen will also be on FMP - that's because those and Army records are UK wide records.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: Would Ancestry be any use to me?

Postby Amazinggrace » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:17 am

Thanks JMcKinnon andd AdrianB38, it confirms what I thought.I was treated to a Roots Magic
software pack a bit ago which included a months free to The Genealogist. I found that was the same, but I enjoyed finding info for a friend from Staffordshire, but it was no good for my lot.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Return to General research queries