Moderator Control Panel ]

Which software should I buy ?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby DesparateAnge » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:55 am

Morning readers,
As we know, the Tree that one creates on Ancestry.co.uk is only for viewing via their website. I'd like to purchase a Family Tree software, that has the facility to copy over entire Ancestry.co.uk trees, to my HDD. What do you use, and what would you recommend please? It only needs Ancestry.co.uk to have a catastrophe whereas they lose ALL their site including backed up data, and we're all in trouble!!
Thanks
Ange
DesparateAnge

Re: Which software should I buy ?

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:41 am

See http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/forum/topic14489.html - there's a bit in there from me on how to get your data out of Ancestry.

Try and look what online support and user groups are offered.

Also, try and see what software allows free trials. No use jumping in blindfold and realising that you seriously can't get on with the stuff that you just purchased. Different people's heads are screwed on differently, as it were, and what's simple to one person is far too challenging to another - and their software of choice might be bafflingly arbitrary to the first person.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Karen196 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:34 pm

You can download your tree from ancestry. I think it's called a GEDCOM file. I imported this to family historian 5 as a back up and it seemed to have worked well. I have the software back up plus a copy of my GEDCOM separately.

I recently lost all my data on my hard drive when my laptop failed, so now I back up literally everything.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Karen196

Postby ksouthall » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:54 pm

Karen is right. You can download Ancestry trees as GEDCOM files and then import them into other software packages. You can also import GEDCOM files into familiy trees on other websites; e.g. FindMyPast, etc., if you want to keep an online copy. However, I would stick with 1 or 2 online copies as it would be tricky to keep them all in sync.
ksouthall

Postby Mick Loney » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:25 pm

Ange,
I used FamilyTreeMaker, until Ancestry pulled the plug on its support. I then moved to Family Historian 6 (FH6) and am very happy with it. I had saved my research into a gedcom file, and this was imported into FH6 with very few problems, and those were quickly resolved with the generous help of the members of their User Group (fhug.org.uk). This group alone gives the software an added advantage over similar products, (but in saying that, I admit to a slight bias, as I already have and love this software :) ).
I advise you to visit the above website, and getter a better idea of what facilities are offered within the software.

Whatever software you choose, please take regular backups!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby johnf04 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:00 pm

I use a free package called Gramps, and I have imported gedcoms from Ancestry successfully. Media attachments aren't imported.
johnf04

Postby Fbirder » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:56 pm

Family Tree Maker, although no longer supported by Ancestry is fully supported by its new owners MacKiev - http://www.mackiev.com/ftm/

It syncs with your Ancestry tree automagically, with no faffing about with gedcom files.
Fbirder

Postby DesparateAnge » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:04 am

Morning All,
Well I d/loaded the free Gramps and couldn't make head nor tail of it so it's 'take out the debit card' time, sadly. Thanks everyone,

Ange
x
DesparateAnge

Return to General research queries