Moderator Control Panel ]

Transcription Tuesday

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Transcription Tuesday

Postby Editor » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:44 pm

This Tuesday (17th January) we are trying to get as many people as possible to sign up to a transcription project and have a go at transcribing documents that will help family historians now and in the future. There are not many family historians who haven't benefited from the hard work of volunteer transcribers (who hasn't used FamilySearch?) but too often we think of it as something that other people do. Well, with new advances in software it has become easier for any of us to 'have a go' and give something back to the family history community.

So, in the spirit of New Years Resolutions, we at Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine have decided to set aside a day to transcribe for a variety of projects.

You can read all about it here: http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine. ... iontuesday

Please pick a project and sign up so we know how many people participated and please share the above link with anyone you think would be interested. If you are on Facebook, then please like our page and share our Transcription Tuesday post. We would also ask anyone who uses Twitter, please tweet if you are getting involved using the hashtag #transcriptiontuesday.

We are all looking forward to Tuesday, but what would make it really great would be if we could get a large body of people involved and be part of creating a lasting legacy. Come on family historians, we can do this!!!
Editor
Site Admin

Re: Transcription Tuesday

Postby chipmunk1953 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:45 pm

I have started already! Have signed up for both GB1900 and the War Diaries, decided to have a try of the map one first - and it's addictive! Took me a little while to fully get the hang of it, but I am quite used to it now. I spent about an hour or so on it this afternoon and was surprised to find I had done about 180 new entries and the same number of confirmations. I may do some more this evening.
chipmunk1953

Postby Editor » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:32 am

Thanks chipmunk1953. Can you email or post on the forum how many you have completed by the end of the day. We want to try and make a real difference!

Sarah

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Editor
Site Admin

Postby meekhcs » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:13 am

Enjoyed transcribing on GB1900 today and managed to add/verify over 1400 entries. It was fun to trawl through all the Hampshire Villages adding/verifying places that my Ancestors actually lived in!! I will try and continue to transcribe on this site as time allows.

Perhaps this should become an annual event!

Sally
meekhcs

Postby coopernicola » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:15 am

Didn't get as much Transcription done as I would have liked as Tuesday is a busy day for me. I hope the records I did for Cornwall PR was OK. Banns documents came up and there were no instructions on how to catalogue them, only for marriage records. Most had no marriage date added which meant there were three blank fields.
Nicola
coopernicola

Postby Editor » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:29 am

Yes we had a few people struggling with the FamilySearch Cornish project. It was certainly the toughest challenge. There were a few moments with us all looking over Sarah Orme's shoulder with suggestions as to what a particular word said and a long discussion about differentiating an f from a long s. I have to say I love the challenge of reading old documents. I think I will choose a harder one next time, although GB1900 was very satisfying and it got me looking at places where my ancestors' lived in a lot more detail.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby coopernicola » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:19 pm

It looks as though I can go back an check the arbitration for the FamilySearch records. If so I can get some more done when I have an afternoon free as there is no expiry date for these records.
coopernicola

Return to Genealogy chat