Moderator Control Panel ]

How do I get copy of old will from Jamaica?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

How do I get copy of old will from Jamaica?

Postby a.a.barham » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:36 pm

Does anyone know how to get a copy of an old will (1726) from Jamaica? I've tried e-mailing the Registrar General's Department in Spanish Town, and also tried completing the online form on their Facebook site, but have had no response to either. Likewise, an e-mail to the Jamaican High Commission in London asking how to do this has been ignored. Does anyone on the forum have any experience of getting old wills from Jamaica? I have the specific reference (allegedly), so it should simply be a case of pulling it out and copying it, assuming I can find the right person to ask.
a.a.barham

Re: How do I get copy of old will from Jamaica?

Postby lojo41 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:39 pm

Have you tried
http://www.jamaicanfamilysearch.com/
They have piece about wills

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
lojo41

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:02 pm

Have you actually checked the English Prerogative Court wills? These can be seen on Ancestry or via the TNA Discovery website - Ancestry copies are often better quality.

The reason I ask is that if there was property to dispose of in England, then my understanding is that it was necessary to get probate in England and I think that this meant the Prerogative Court. So worth a look if you haven't...

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby a.a.barham » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:21 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:Have you actually checked the English Prerogative Court wills? These can be seen on Ancestry or via the TNA Discovery website - Ancestry copies are often better quality.

The reason I ask is that if there was property to dispose of in England, then my understanding is that it was necessary to get probate in England and I think that this meant the Prerogative Court. So worth a look if you haven't...

Yes - tried PCC wills. Nothing there, I'm afraid, so only the Jamaican will to go on. The will I'm after is for Henry Barham, doctor of "physic and chyrurgery", made 25 June 1724, entered 1 June 1726, Wills, xvii fol. 37. I'm guessing this is one of the Will Books (as referred to on the site mentioned by lojo41 above (sorry - the forum won't let me respond to your post directly due to the web link)), so it would be a version of the will copied out (like the PCC wills).
a.a.barham

Postby lojo41 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:38 pm

ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1484242706.541824.jpg
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1484242706.541824.jpg (198.09 KiB) Viewed 1578 times

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
lojo41

Postby a.a.barham » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:43 pm

Sorry, but that's his son's will, from 1746.
a.a.barham

Postby MaureenE » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:27 pm

A page from the website in post 2
http://www.jamaicanfamilysearch.com/Samples/Resjam.htm indicates that the Registrar General's Department is the institution which holds the records.

This page also indicates that the Supreme Court Wills have been microfilmed by FamilySearch (Mormons). The microfilm catalogue record is https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library. The dates given appears to indicate that your will would not be included, but perhaps it would be worthwhile ordering just to check whether it may be in there somewhere.

Perhaps the microfilm dates may be an indication that the original will is not now available, as otherwise it would have been filmed.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby a.a.barham » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:40 pm

Thanks Maureen. That might be worth a try. But if the Registrar General's Deoartment is the correct government agency for this, why can't I get any response from them? And if there is a specific reference for the will, doesn't that suggest there is indeed a version of the will (even if it is a transcribed version) in the records?
a.a.barham

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:16 pm

No - it suggests that there *was* a will with that reference. Wills are notorious for causing this sort of issue. The index books may have been compiled contemporaneously with the recording of the wills. Then the wills themselves are lost but the index book remains. I'm not saying that is what's happened here, just offering a typical story of the grief that the things cause.

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby a.a.barham » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:27 pm

Ok. Thanks. That's worth bearing in mind.

Does anyone on the forum have any ideas about how I can get the people in Jamaica to engage and deal with the enquiry I made? Or suggestions for someone local who could do a personal visit to check for me (without it costing an arm and a leg)?
a.a.barham

Next

Return to General research queries