Moderator Control Panel ]

Master mariner & ship lost at sea in 1830

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Master mariner & ship lost at sea in 1830

Postby loiseau22 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:06 pm

One of my ancestors - Nicholas Harvey (c1800-1830) - was a Master Mariner in the merchant service, latterly on the merchant ship "Cumberland".
Family legend had it that he and his wife died at sea.

Till the end of this month I have a £1 subscription to Find My Past, so have been working on the newspaper collection, and have found in Lloyds List several mentions of the comings and goings of the ship and her master, listed as: "Cumberland, Harvey".
He seems to have plied between Gravesend and different destinations, including Lisbon (Portugal), Gijon (northern Spain), and somewhere called St Michael's (not sure where this is - googling came up with Barbados, but as Harvey seemed to make return trips there within a month I don't think it can be that - can it?).

Eventually I found the sad news:
Lloyds List 10 Dec 1830
"The Cumberland, Harvey, sailed from Gijon on 17 Sept last for London, and has not since been heard of."

Is there any way that deaths of British nationals outside the UK would have been registered in 1830? I should like to confirm that his wife Elizabeth Harvey died too. (I believe it was not uncommon for the ship's Master to take his wife on voyages.)
Or anywhere else I could hope to find details of the ship and her crew - presumably insurance of the ship and her cargo was involved, and might yield some documentary evidence?

As some background, they married in 1826; had a son Nicholas Cumberland Harvey in early 1828 - who died in late 1829. (The child's second name must indicate Harvey's attachment to that ship, and that he had been captaining her since at least 1827.) So maybe that tragedy prompted Elizabeth to sail off to foreign parts with her husband.
Rather poignantly, Nicholas Harvey's brother called his own next child "Nicholas Cumberland Harvey" (b1831). This confused me a lot to start with, but now I can see the sequence of events it makes sense.

Angela
loiseau22

Re: Master mariner & ship lost at sea in 1830

Postby grandmabear » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:54 pm

I doubt there would be a death registration for your Captain. My 2 x Great àgrandfather drowned when his ship went down during a storm in 1843. Other than the newspaper report that's all I was able to find. There was no death registration it seems.
Janice
grandmabear

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:57 pm

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/ships-wrecked-sunk/ might help to find any further records - also http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides-keywords/?show=keywords&keyword-letter=m&keyword=merchant-navy-1#step-three points to other guides from TNA. There's mention of Crew Lists in http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/merchant-seaman-serving-up-to-1857/ but I have this suspicion that his wife would not come under the auspices of any formal agreement.

So there may be no further stuff than what you've already found, but worth a ponder to make sure you've covered all bases.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Smurph » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:43 pm

I've been barred from posting a website for some reason but the Royal Museums Greenwich website has a great research guide. Might be worth a look!
Smurph

Postby ianbee » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:33 pm

loiseau22 wrote:somewhere called St Michael's (not sure where this is - googling came up with Barbados, but as Harvey seemed to make return trips there within a month I don't think it can be that - can it?).

I believe It's in the Azores (Sao Miguel Island)
ianbee

Postby loiseau22 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:44 am

Oh ianbee that sounds MUCH more likely. And rather ties in with Harvey's voyages to Lisbon, Gijon etc.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions, which I shall follow up. Great idea about Greenwich.
And I will have a further delve into newspapers while I have the cheap FMP sub.
loiseau22

Postby brunes08 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:36 pm

The February 2017 issue of WDYTYA magazine plopped through my letter box this morning. One of the articles is about tracing your shipwrecked ancestors. Might be worth a trip to a newsagent if you do not subscribe on a regular basis.
brunes08

Postby MayHam » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:02 am

I don't know how long Lloyds of London keeps their records but it might be worth contacting them directly to see if they have a file on your ancestor. They've been in insurance since 1688.
https://www.lloyds.com/
MayHam

Postby loiseau22 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:04 am

Oooo, some more great ideas. Thanks!
I will look out for a copy of the mag. :-)
loiseau22

Postby maxine tallon » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:58 am

The Lloyds of London Registers are at the London Metropolitan Archives they have a lot of information in them, it's worth going just to see and handle the ledgers and the staff are very helpful, you just need a readers card which is free and you can get it when you go to the archives.

maxine
maxine tallon

Next

Return to General research queries