Moderator Control Panel ]

Master mariner & ship lost at sea in 1830

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Master mariner & ship lost at sea in 1830

Postby Sylcec » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:14 pm

Normally I would suggest browsing the Shipping Intelligence columns in the newspapers for items titled: "Ships spoken to"; however, in view of your finding:
"Lloyds List 10 Dec 1830
"The Cumberland, Harvey, sailed from Gijon on 17 Sept last for London, and has not since been heard of.""
it appears unlikely that any other ships passed or acknowledged the Cumberland at sea in this period.
It may be worth looking at weather reports for the weeks after 17 Sep 1830, looking for storms in which your ship may have foundered.
Sylcec

Postby devonliz » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:08 pm

This is exactly what I did to follow up a distant relative who died in 1840. My great grandfather had noted 'drowned, Bristol Channel, 1840' in a family tree but I could find no death notices in the newspapers ... eventually found Shipping Intelligence of the ship leaving Newport for Virginia in April, and a subsequent report of wreckage being washed up in Somerset the next day. It was September before the 'has not been seen since' notice appeared in the newspaper. I think those words were an official formulation for insurance purposes.
devonliz

Postby loiseau22 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:44 am

Oh yes, great, I will try the London Metropolitan Archives; I live in London, so that is easy for me.

I have been scanning the Shipping Intelligence columns online as well as Lloyds List, but nothing has turned up yet - though I still have quite a few entries to peruse on FMP. It would be very interesting to learn if any wreckage was found.

I already tried to find out about the weather reports for Sept 1830, but I did not have much luck.
Mind you, it probably only takes one freak wave to destabilise the boat and flip it over.
Harvey had done many trips to Gijon and Lisbon in that ship over the years; I guess he was just very unlucky that day.
loiseau22

Postby brunes08 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:57 am

If you haven't been to the London Metropolitan Archives do check the website before visiting. The archives are not open every day.
brunes08

Postby loiseau22 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:07 am

Good point - thanks Bruno!
loiseau22

Previous

Return to General research queries