Moderator Control Panel ]

First Names used...not ONCE, but ...

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

First Names used...not ONCE, but ...

Postby DesparateAnge » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:53 am

Morning Chaps,
now I'm gonna run this past you because it's 'doing my head in' as the modern expression goes. When viewing (especially) the better-off, more aristocratic members of one's distant family, how many of you have encountered a name (eg) Henry used once, twice even 3 TIMES within the same family group (parents and their kids), yet born at different times?? Were they THAT boring, that the parents couldn't think of individual names to use??

What do you think?

Ange
xx
DesparateAnge

Re: First Names used...not ONCE, but ...

Postby ciderdrinker » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:24 pm

Hello
Oh God yes!
Not just the aristocracy either.I have a yeoman farmer William Smith,son William Smith,4 grandsons called William Smith.Father,grandfather,greatgrandfather -you guessed it,William Smith!

I'm from son James and grandson Henry,perhaps they fancied a bit of a change

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby DesparateAnge » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:42 pm

ciderdrinker wrote:Hello
Oh God yes!
Not just the aristocracy either.I have a yeoman farmer William Smith,son William Smith,4 grandsons called William Smith.Father,grandfather,greatgrandfather -you guessed it,William Smith!

I'm from son James and grandson Henry,perhaps they fancied a bit of a change

Ciderdrinker

Hahaha... WHO'S the lucky one then? It's worse that that though - the SAME 2 parents, naming (3?) son's John, or Henry or whatever, NONE of them necessarily dying young, and all born within what - 10 years?
DesparateAnge

Postby brunes08 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:03 pm

Apart from the fact that some families did do this, you need to check whether in your case, they all survived. Quite often a child named John, for example, was born, baptised/registered etc but then died in infancy. The next boy child may then well have been called John.
brunes08

Postby DesparateAnge » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:09 am

brunes08 wrote:Apart from the fact that some families did do this, you need to check whether in your case, they all survived. Quite often a child named John, for example, was born, baptised/registered etc but then died in infancy. The next boy child may then well have been called John.

Oh yes, agree brunes08. Sometimes though, especially when it was in the say, 1700s, it's not so simple to obtain the answer you want.

Thanks,
DesparateAnge

Postby mouthfulofbees » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:56 pm

With some families, naming patterns are followed religiously. For example, many of my German ancestors followed typical German naming patterns in which every child had the same first name and then went by their second given name. For example, in one family, I have these children: Johan Adam, Johann Georg, Johann Heinrich, Johann Berthold, etc. and the girls are all "Anna" and a middle name. This is really common. They also followed naming patterns in which the second given name is given in a particular order (i.e. oldest son is named after the father's father, second son is named after the mother's father, etc.) That is why they often reused names of previously deceased children. This is actually helpful sometimes because it can help you narrow down which couple is likely to be your ancestor's parents, based on the names of his children! It's worthwhile to check out naming patterns in the geographic area or religion of the families you are researching. You can find a lot of helpful info if you just google "Scottish naming patterns," for example. Good luck with your searching!
mouthfulofbees

Postby Amazinggrace » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:28 am

Join the club Desperateange
In my tree I have a John Carruthers b.1800,son of John,son of John and so on back to John b.1683.He was son of James (what happened there?).
Does send you batty though. Keep smiling.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby meekhcs » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:05 pm

Yes we all have them.
In my case it started with twins Thomas and William in my husband's direct line. William was childless but Thomas called one son Thomas William and another William Thomas and so it continued down the generations!!
meekhcs

Return to General research queries