Moderator Control Panel ]

James Gloyn

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

James Gloyn

Postby Loopy72 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:38 pm

Looking for any information on the following person:-

James Gloyn born around 1800 not sure where as the 1841 census as what looks like a tick in the last column next to his name.

Married a Hannah Phillips in 1837 in Abersychan Monmouthshire where they went on to have 5 children 2 of which died young.

Died in 1850 says his age was 50 unsure as can't find birth record for him.

If there was a tick in the last column of the 1841 census does anyone know whereabouts he could have been born. Forgot to mention that according to his marriage certificate his father was also called James Gloyn and was a farmer.

All help gratefully received

Regards
Loopy72

James Gloyn

Postby Singleton1922 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:35 pm

Hi
The 1841 census did not record an actual place of birth. The question was simply whether or not the person was born in that county and this column would usually show simply 'y' or 'n'

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Singleton1922

Re: James Gloyn

Postby ianbee » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:00 pm

He's in Trevethin, Monmouthshire, in 1841
piece 744 book 6 folio 33 page 59
Folio 32 on findmypast.
James Gloyn 40 Draper No, not born county
Hannah Gloyn 25 Yes
Frances Gloyn 9 (months) Yes
Charlotte Gloyn 3 Yes
+ 3 others

The tick in the final column is a mark that has been made later by a clerk (has done it for all those not born in county)
Ian
ianbee

Postby Loopy72 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi ianbee

Thank you for that, I have found most of his records just not where he was born, I ordered his death certificate but that doesn't have the information on it either.

A family member did say that she thinks that they came from Ireland so will have to have a look down that avenue.

Thanks for the advice.

Regards
Loopy72

Postby ianbee » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:27 pm

Hi
Re your other thread, "No Marriage Record"
topic14491.html#p50277
"Francis Phillips Gloyn was born in 1840 in Abersychan Monmouthshire"
He ended up in Plymouth. Lots of people do of course.
Had a sibling who died young, Frederick Jordan Gloyn (Jordon on birth reg)
Those sort of middle names can be helpful (sometimes!) If the middle name of Francis was Phillips rather than Philip, then that was his mother's maiden name.
There's a website featuring the Gloyns of Devon
http://www.familyhistorydata.co.uk/fhd_gloyn.html
A section on the Children of James Gloyn and Elizabeth Jordan
There's a bit of a gap in those children between Elizabeth Gloyn, baptized 1795, Pyworthy, and Francis Gloyn, baptized 1803, Plymouth. Daughter Grace was baptized along with Francis.
So were they somewhere else in between?
It suggests on that site that James Gloyn of Devon may have been a dairyman?

There's was a James Gloyne baptized in 1800 in Stoke Damerel, mother Elizabeth, but unfortunately the father was William!
But it may be worth investigating a possible Devon connection perhaps.
Ian
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:05 am

Actually the Plymouth St Andrew PR says that both Francis and Grace were daughters of James and Elizabeth! May have been twins, doesn't say so
The website mentioned before says that Francis bap 1803 was male, and married Jane Harding in 1831.
ianbee

Postby Loopy72 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:08 pm

I have looked at the link for the gloyn family, unfortunately it is not the ones I'm looking for at the moment that's not to say that it is part of my family tree.

I have looked everywhere, I think I may have to pop to the gwent archive centre as james gloyn ran a drapers shop in abersychan in 1830 so maybe they would have some information on him.

Thanks for all the advice and help just wish family members spoke to each other.

Regards
Loopy72

Return to General research queries