Moderator Control Panel ]

No Marriage Record

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

No Marriage Record

Postby Loopy72 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:14 pm

I am having trouble finding a marriage record what would be the reasons for this.

Any advice on the will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.
Loopy72

Re: No Marriage Record

Postby Dene Fisher » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:53 pm

Give us a clue !
Who are you trying to find a marriage record for, where & when?
Dene Fisher

Postby Loopy72 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:11 pm

Sorry

Looking for a marriage of Francis Phillips Gloyn and Fanny Griffiths nee Soper, their first child together was born in 1877. She was married before and the 1871 census has her living with her first husband and their 2 sons in Devon.

Francis Phillips Gloyn was born in 1840 in Abersychan Monmouthshire
Fanny Soper was born in 1840 in Devon.

I have looked everywhere that I can think of and have come up blank.

Sorry forgot to say that they were living in Devon at the time of the 1881 census.
Loopy72

No Marriage Record

Postby brunes08 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:10 am

I've had a rummage around several sites and, like you, I cannot find a marriage for Fanny and Francis. Neither can I find a death for her first husband, William Griffiths. It is possible that Fanny and Francis did not marry because she was not a widow nor was she divorced. On the 1871 census, I noted that William was in the Royal Artillery. I also noted that their eldest child had been born in Ireland so presumably Fanny had gone with him when posted there and then returned to Plymouth. It may be that he was posted elsewhere after the birth of their second child and she did not go with him. He may have died overseas. They may have just parted company or he may have deserted her. Left on her own, she met Francis etc - not an unusual scenario.

I did find an 1881 census return that could possibly be William. RG11 489/48 St Mary Stratford-Le-Bow, Middlesex - a William Griffiths aged 40 is a boarder and occupation given as joiner. His place of birth is given as Plymouth which is where Fanny is.
It may be worth your while to track down William's service record as this may answer some of your queries.
brunes08

Postby Loopy72 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:46 am

Thank you for the reply Brunes08.

I reached that conclusion aswell that fanny and Francis did not marry because she was still married to her first husband, I have also found out throught the new online search scheme with the GRO that the first 2 children between Fanny and Francis and her married name as maiden name and the last 2 were her actual maiden name of Soper.

I will have to have a look into her first husbands military records, but being a William Griffiths born in Wales it will be hard as its one of the common surnames in Wales.

Will just have to have a further look, but it does look like they were not legally married even though she used his name.

Thanks again

Regards.
Loopy72

Postby brunes08 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:39 pm

Hi Loopy72. Just as an aside, my gt grandmother left her husband and children and went off with another man. She used his surname for herself and for the two children she had within that relationship. When this relationship ended, she and the children went back to using her husband's name even though the children were not his. So these two children went through their lives using a surname that was not the one on their birth certificates. Another gt gt gt grandfather used his mother's surname and his step-father's surname on different documents. Sometimes family relationships are like a bowl of spaghetti - difficult to unravel!
brunes08

Postby Loopy72 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:08 pm

Hi Brunes08

You are right there family is like a bowl of spaghetti, just when you think that you have got things sorted something else comes up.

I have got the same problem with another ancestor, born around 1800 died 1850 and not got a clue where he was born as on the 1841 census he's down as not born in this county.

Regards
Loopy72

Return to General research queries