Moderator Control Panel ]

Twins or not?!

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Twins or not?!

Postby Diaper » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:01 pm

As a result of searching the GRO Register for Births that now allow searching by mother's maiden name I have found the birth of another sibling for my Great Grandfather, Joseph John Hurley. It appeared that he had another brother, Bernard Hurley, born in the same quarter as Joseph John and on ordering the birth certificate it turns out he was born on the same day so a twin brother. Problem is I can find no record of him with the family on any subsequent censuses nor a death record for him. It also seems rather strange that although born on the same day Bernard has a civil birth certificate but Joseph John has one only listed in the Army Register Book of Births, Baptisms and Marriages. My brother feels that in between Bernard being born on 16th March 1862 and Joseph John's baptism on 15th July 1863 (on his birth certificate) or 15th February 1863 (on record of his baptism on Scotland's People) that his parents may have decided on a change of name for whatever reason and had him re-registered as Joseph John. Would that have been likely?
Diaper

Re: Twins or not?!

Postby devonliz » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:55 pm

I think it seems very likely that you only have one person here.
My grandfather was registered in Ireland as 'boy' and his name was added in a different section after baptism, and some of my grandmother's siblings have one name in the registration index but a different name in their baptism a few weeks later.
devonliz

Postby ksouthall » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:25 pm

Does the birth certificate have a time of birth on it? This is usually written on when twins or other multiple births occur. If there is no time of birth, this could be because there was only one birth.

However, I'm sure someone will find an exception to the rule...
ksouthall

Postby pete25 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:55 pm

Yes, all twins have the time entered in the where born box. I have certificates. One twin was born 5:25am and the other 5:30am...wonderful!

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby Diaper » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:54 pm

Thank you all for your posts. It would seem likely now that Bernard and Joseph are one and the same - shame as I was looking forward to having twins in the family!
Diaper

Return to General research queries