Moderator Control Panel ]

Family tree maker

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Family tree maker

Postby janmlawson » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:29 pm

Does anyone run the above on an iPad or laptop? I have ancestry on my iPad but don't find it that easy to use.
janmlawson

Re: Family tree maker

Postby Mick Loney » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:05 am

Family tree maker and Ancestry are two diferent things! FTM is a programme that runs on a PC or Mac (but not an iPad) whereas Ancestry is a website, with the ability to store/write your family tree.

I used to use FTM on a laptop and a PC, but when Ancestry (the makers) pulled the plug on support for the program, I moved to Family Historian (FH), a move I have never regretted, as in my opinion, it is one of the best products on the market.

I believe FTM has since been taken over by another company, but it came too late for me, as I won't move back.
Check out the FH user group on fhug.org.uk.

My advice is to keep your research under your own control, and move it to your own PC. By all means keep a copy on Ancestry, but don't rely on 3rd parties to keep your data secure. If they screw up, it is you that will lose out not them!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby janmlawson » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:28 am

Mick Loney wrote:Family tree maker and Ancestry are two diferent things! FTM is a programme that runs on a PC or Mac (but not an iPad) whereas Ancestry is a website, with the ability to store/write your family tree.

I used to use FTM on a laptop and a PC, but when Ancestry (the makers) pulled the plug on support for the program, I moved to Family Historian (FH), a move I have never regretted, as in my opinion, it is one of the best products on the market.

I believe FTM has since been taken over by another company, but it came too late for me, as I won't move back.
Check out the FH user group on fhug.org.uk.

My advice is to keep your research under your own control, and move it to your own PC. By all means keep a copy on Ancestry, but don't rely on 3rd parties to keep your data secure. If they screw up, it is you that will lose out not them!

janmlawson

Postby janmlawson » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:30 am

Thanks for the advice. That's my trouble with technology, I am a user without really understanding who it works.
janmlawson

Postby Dene Fisher » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:02 pm

I've been thinking of copying my data from Ancestry to Family Historian or something similar for some time, I assume I can use a Gedcom file but does anything not come across well?
Dene Fisher

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:37 pm

Difficult to give a generic reply because different programs have different abilities to import GEDCOM files.

However...

There are 2 ways of getting stuff out of your tree on Ancestry. The generic one of producing a GEDCOM file and online synchronization between a tree on Ancestry and a tree on your pc.

So far as I know the only software that will sync right now is Family Tree Manager with RootsMagic intending to follow as soon as they can.

Otherwise you need to produce a GEDCOM file. There are 2 issues with this. Firstly the file does not download any media eg census images. Secondly Ancestry's ability to read the GEDCOM specification is pretty poor. Most programmers seem to regard the specification as something to be improvised on, not followed, but Ancestry's GEDCOM output file format is even further out than some.

With that in mind, you are probably better choosing a couple of specific candidates and then investigating in their support groups what the issues are.

For Family Historian, see the User Group site referred to above. FH does have one great advantage (this is the software that I use) - data that doesn't conform to the GEDCOM specification is not discarded but is left in your data file where it is possible that conversion utilities (plug ins) may be able to disentangle it later.

For FH you need to sit down and read the advice on the FHUG site.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Family tree maker

Postby Mick Loney » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:10 pm

Yes, Gedcom files are the way to import your research data into FH, but see Adrian's advice above, concerning media files!

Sadly, because different programmes use slightly different variants of gedcom, some minor glitches may occur. However, most of these have been seen before by other users, so solutions are readily available on the fhug website.
The website also has lots of advice for users migrating from other programmes via their knowledge base and I strongly suggest you visit the site and see what is available.

I transferred 12000+ individuals from FTM to FH, and most of the problems I encountered were minor and known about, so were solved quite quickly. I think that within a few weeks, I had successfully transferred all my data.
I must admit that being a long term user of FTM, I did find it quite a steep learning curve to change from the way FTM did things to how FH does things, but am now extremely happy, and wouldn't move back!

Mick Loney

Family tree maker

Postby coopernicola » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:58 am

Mick - did you transfer your tree directly from FTM to FH or do this via a FTM gedcom file? I am running an old version of FTM on my iMac but am dithering about the change to FH as it took me ages to straighten up my tree when I moved it originally from a free genealogy program I inherited. (I have an up to date tree on Ancestry which will no longer sync to FTM).
Nicola
Edit: Having had a quick browse of FH website I may be out of luck it doesn't seem to be available for Mac users yet!
coopernicola

Family tree maker

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:46 pm

Nicola,

1. You can't import FTM files directly, so I exported my data from FTM into a gedcom file, which I then imported into FH. There were a few minor issues, but by and large it went smoothly.

2. If you visit fhug.org, you'll see that whilst FH will not run on a Mac directly, it will if you use crossover/wine. I am not a Mac user, but I realise they are windows emulation programs that allow windows programs to run on the Mac.

I strongly suggest you visit fhug.org, and see what FH has to offer for Mac users. I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information there on this very subject.

NB fhug.org is the FH user group website, which is not the same as the main FH website!

Mick Loney

Postby coopernicola » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:54 pm

Thanks for your reply Mick. Sadly my aged iMac will not support an emulator for new software, I had issues with this when trying to link up to a university site last year. I have a number of gedcom files saved on my external hard drive (a backup). Looking at FHUG my best bet will be to hope they produce a Mac version (FTM took a few years to launch theirs). It's quite frustrating I love my Mac but there are few good genealogy packages for it.
coopernicola

Next

Return to General research queries