Moderator Control Panel ]

Wills and Probate Records

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Wills and Probate Records

Postby junkers » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:45 pm

I think there is confusion here of the death certificate need. This only applies when proving a will and not when ordering a copy. If no will was found in a house/property then the case would be published by solicitors or the Treasury Solicitor's Department as a 'bona vacantia" case and listed on their list of unclaimed estates. Once the estate was settled then the will can be proved, London is the main probate office, the Principal Probate Registry (I think it is called something else but I can't recall it). There are no 'confidential wills' except Royal Wills.
junkers

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:46 pm

Thanks Sylvia - I'd not known about those circumstances.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:48 pm

Katherine - and that could well be one way it happens. In which case you'd probably want to take good care that the right person got hold of the will.

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:51 pm

Junkers - my initial reaction was exactly yours but that link does refer to a need to provide proof of death.

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby MaureenE » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:17 pm

According to the FamilySearch Wiki "The Principal Registry in London deals with personal applications", so the need to provide a death certificate could be a requirement if you are making a personal visit, and asking for a Search to be made.
https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Princi ... e_Registry

The London Probate Department and the Principal Registry of the Family Division seem to be the same entity.
( https://courttribunalfinder.service.gov ... department )

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby pete25 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:16 am

I've ordered a couple of wills and there is much info to be obtained.
I ordered the will of a great grand aunt and what was very interesting was regarding a ring, a carpet and vases etc which she left. I also sent for a will for a friend and it was 3 or 4 pages long with much much info contained...all very interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby Guy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:06 am

pete25 wrote:I've ordered a couple of wills and there is much info to be obtained.
I ordered the will of a great grand aunt and what was very interesting was regarding a ring, a carpet and vases etc which she left. I also sent for a will for a friend and it was 3 or 4 pages long with much much info contained...all very interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum

I totally agree, take a look at this will
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... ylwill.htm

The first clause I smiled at is the clause regarding his burial if within 20 miles of London and the depth of the grave.
It then goes on to him leaving money to honour the request made of him in his brothers will previously.

He then mentions some of his extended family (nephews and nieces) before turning to churchwardens and the poor of his "home" town of Bolton Abbey and other charities.

There is also a clause that gives "each of the persons who shall be invited and attend at my Funeral shall have a Ring of the value of 12s"

A huge amount of information about his family and the society he lived in may be gleaned from this one document

Cheers
Guy

PS The Petyt Library still exists in Skipton today.
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Previous

Return to General research queries