Moderator Control Panel ]

Where did John & Mary Dennniss go?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Where did John & Mary Dennniss go?

Postby JaneyH » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:22 pm

I'm extremely grateful for all the help regarding a spell in India in my previous post about John Denniss and his family - topic14459.html

Having constructed quite a good timeline the trail goes cold after the 1861 Census, apart from two children. To recap, I have parents John Denniss (b. 1824, St Neot's) and Mary Denniss (maiden name Osmotherly) marrying in Holborn, London, 1848. They go on to have the following children:

Fanny Squire Denniss (b. 1849, St Neot's, Huntingdonshire)
John Osmer Denniss (b. 1850, St Neot's)
Squire Denniss (b. 1852, Ashford, Kent)
Frederick William Denniss (b. 1854, Ashford, Kent)
Alfred Charles Denniss (b & d 1858, Palghat, India)
Kate Brookes Denniss (b. 1859 Coimbatore, India, d. 1863 St Neot's)
Arthur Denniss (b. 1861, St Neot's)

As per the previous post I have the family in St Neot's in the 1861 Census (I have all the details for 1851), and I've found daughter Fanny in the 1871 Census, the companion of a lady called Louisa Fenwick in Clifton, near Biggleswade. I think I've got son John O. Denniss as a grocer's apprentice in Potton, Bedfordshire in 1871. However I can't find anything for parents John and Mary after 1861, nor for any of the other surviving children - either in Census records or death register entries. The name Denniss is quite common in Huntingdonshire and Bedfordshire, but unfortunately these are both counties that are poorly served by online records. For the wider family I've managed to pick out a few records in the Huntingdonshire marriage and burial transcriptions on FMP, but other than that I think it's down to sources on familysearch.

Any pointers - especially for John & Mary - would be most appreciated.
JaneyH

Re: Where did John & Mary Dennniss go?

Postby ianbee » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:09 pm

Hi
Having found a possible for Frederick William in the US census returns (Illinois and Colorado), in which he gives his immigration year as 1872/73 -
Family Search
Massachusetts, Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1891
Name: Mary Dennis
Event Date: 27 May 1873
Nationality: Ireland
Ship Name: Steamship Olympus

It does have Ireland as "The Country to which they severally belong"
Mary Dennis 47
Fanny 22
Fred W 18
Arthur 11

If it's them, I don't know if they are following John over
Ian
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:13 pm

In 1861, Mary Denniss, wife of John, was 35, and born Cliffe in Kent.
So this could be her and two sons in 1871.
Info from Family Search
Name: Mary Daniels
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Marital Status: Widowed
Birthplace: Cliffe, Kent
Place: Hitchin, Hertfordshire
Household:
Mary Daniels Head 45 Cliffe, Kent
Frederick William Daniels Son 16 St Neots, Huntingdonshire
Arthur Daniels Son 9 Kent
Anne Thomas Aunt 62 Cliffe, Kent

Much the same on ancestry
Piece 1368 folio 107 page 21
schedule 134
So if them, John Denniss had died before that possible move to America.
Ian
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:25 pm

National Probate Calendar 1866
Denniss, John
Effects under £450
19 September. Letters of Administration of the Personal estate and effects of John Denniss late of St. Neot's in the county of Huntingdon Inspector of Railway at Chunda East Bengal in the East Indies deceased who died 15 May 1866 at Chunda aforesaid were granted at the Principal Registry to Mary Denniss of St Neot's aforesaid Widow the Relict of the said Deceased she having been first sworn.
ianbee

Postby JaneyH » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:22 pm

What a find! Most of my ancestors have been poor and I've fallen out of the habit of looking at the Probate Calendar... so rarely do I find anything in it.

So it looks like we have John returning to India some time after the 1861 Census, then dying there in 1866. I'll see if I can find a death/burial record in the British India Office collection.

Meanwhile widow Mary and family appear to have moved to Hitchin by 1871. I'm a little mystified by the surname "Daniels" but looking at the record on both Ancestry and FMP I think it *does* say Daniels and not a scrawl of "Denniss". What helps with this Census entry is that Mary is a governess; back in the 1851 Census she was shown as a schoolmistress.

The apparent emigration to USA also looks promising; I had a few hints for this family pointing to Colorado which I didn't give much thought to a few days back.

I'm at work now, but it looks like I've got my evening sorted!

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby JimL » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:05 pm

The family did, indeed, move to the U.S. Richard Squire Denniss came over in about 1871. His mother, Mary Osmotherly, did as well, and married Henry Menke on June 10, 1874 in Cass Co. Illinois. In 1880 in Black Hawk, Colorado, Richard was listed as a "Retail Spirits Dealer". Family rumour says he ran a brothel. I previously had a lot of information posted on World Connect (RootsWeb), but it's been off-line for a while.
JimL

Postby JaneyH » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:40 am

Wow - thanks so much for that, Jim. I haven’t looked at the Denniss line for a while but I’ll follow up these leads.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Return to General research queries