Moderator Control Panel ]

Royal Hospital Chelsea records on Ancestry

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Royal Hospital Chelsea records on Ancestry

Postby Pennie » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:04 pm

The "Focus On - Napoleonic Soldiers" article in the October 2016 issue of states the RHC discharge documents are now available on Ancestry.

Despite having an annual Premium membership, I'm being asked to sign up to "Fold3" (free trial but then presumably payment required?) to view actual images.

Never come across this before - can anyone give me more information? Many thanks.

Pennie
Pennie

Re: Royal Hospital Chelsea records on Ancestry

Postby sdup26 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:03 pm

I had the same problem. I have a Worldwide membership, which includes Premium "and access to our entire library plus all our new releases," but like you, I can't access the original images without 'Fold3' coming up. If I pay another $44 a month to get Fold3, I'm promised 'unlimited access to all of ancestry' which is what I thought I was already paying for.
And another whinge. I tried to post a query about this on ancestry support services, and got a message telling me that this required setting up a different account - not paid for, just different, because 'ancestry support runs on a different platform from ancestry's other websites, and requires separate login credentials.' So that's clear then!
sdup26

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:45 pm

See thread on http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/forum/topic14223.html and especially note my advice to "double check first what's available (a) on FMP and (b) through TNA Discovery. "

I have not seen any lists comparing what's on Fold3, indexed on Ancestry, indexed and imaged on FMP and imaged and / or indexed in TNA Discovery so it might be that Ancestry / Fold3 have added nothing.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Pennie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:44 am

Many thanks for your replies. I also put up the question on the Ancestry messageboards - with the result that a very kind member in the USA has offered to look at the image for me.

Still thinks it smacks of "sharp practice"!
Pennie

Return to General research queries