Moderator Control Panel ]

Byrons of Stokeham Notts - related to Lord Byron?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Byrons of Stokeham Notts - related to Lord Byron?

Postby PaulH01 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:37 pm

My great x 4 grandfather is Joshua Byron d 1781 Great Limber, Lincs.
His birth date was 1717; the only Joshua Byron whose birthdate is remotely close was born 1716 in Stokeham, Notts. His mother died in 1720 and it looks as if some of the sons were sent elsewhere (presumably to other relatives) so it looks likely to be him.

Records seem very sparse in that geographical area. With some searching and some help from a Geni entry, and the York probate lists, the line appears to be (all Stokeham):
John Byron 1682-1736
John Byron c1620-1670
Originall Byron 1580-1647
Christopher Byron c1550-1598

I have been able to find out a few things about the above Byrons (I have been to Stokeham church too) but still cannot establish a link to Lord Byron's family.
Stokeham is only 15 miles or so away from Lord Byron's haunts, the Stokeham Byrons were landowners, and Originall Byron seemed to know Sir John Byron.
Family legend has it that we are related, it would be nice to know how.

As a supplementary question(!): there a number of Byrons buried in East Drayton, the neighbouring village to Stokeham. There is a good list of those buried available on the internet. I know that the two churches are related (the former took over the latter's function when it fell into disrepair) but I cannot find any more Byrons in Stokeham after 1747; they all seem to have switched to East Drayton, but again I cannot find any Byrons in common.

Any assistance would be appreciated!
Thanks
PaulH01
PaulH01

Re: Byrons of Stokeham Notts - related to Lord Byron?

Postby Joy Wickington » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:15 pm

I too was brought up with the idea that we were related to Lord Byron. Eventually I started to research. ~I have looked into my papers and can find quite a few John Byrons but for a different area. During my research I found on the internet an Eric Byron, who was my fathers cousin. He lived in New Zealand so I contacted him and he had researched the family back to 1066 and had found a link to Lord Byron. Apparently the Byrons started in England from a knight called Michel de Bures born in 1040 near Bayeauz Normandy. He came over with William the Conqueror and is named on the Battle Abbey Rolls and was gifted manors in Somerset and Hertfordshire. His son Ralph held many manors in Nottinghamshire and built Horestan Castle. Later descendants Robert born 1156 and Geoffrey born 1174 were the forerunners of the present Lord Byron and Geoffrey is the line we come from. The name has changed over the years from De Bures to De Buron, Buyrun and Byron. I have other info if you want it. Joy Wickington nee Byron
Joy Wickington

Postby PaulH01 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:51 pm

Great to hear from you, Joy - and that's brilliant news if you say you can trace the line all the way back there!
As I said, I can just about get back to Stokeham, but any information I can get before 1700 (and certainly before Originall Byron) is sketchy to say the least. Whereabouts are all the John Byrons you have found from?
I've collected quite a lot of information post-1700; my last Byron was Sophia Byron, born 1798 in Lincs. (daughter of George Byron, two-time mayor of Boston, who had some interesting children), but the name survived as a middle name after that.
If any of that information is any use to you, then I'm happy to share it. And if you have any more info that would help me connect the Byrons I know about, that would be great too.

Thanks
Paul H
PaulH01

Postby PaulH01 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:00 am

Not much progress to report - information from this part of Nottinghamshire in the 17th century seems to be so fragmented!
I have found a few Byron entries from Rampton on FindMyPast.
I can see that Christopher (probably the one born 1621) and Mary had several children, two of whom, George and Mary, who died young, were actually moved to the Byron family vault in Hucknall Torkard in 1656/7, according to the 'Nottinghamshire History' website. They say that the register entries were copied over too.
I have no idea why, I can only surmise that they were close relatives. Any ideas, anybody?
Christopher b 1621 Rampton was the son of another Christopher. It is possible (but absolutely nothing to corroborate this) that this is the son of the Christopher who died 1598 in Stokeham, who also had a son called Christopher who would be of the right age.
Within the 'mainline' Byron family trees that I can find, there is no mention of any Christophers at this time. So the mystery remains.
PaulH01

Return to General research queries