Moderator Control Panel ]

WW1 Identification

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

WW1 Identification

Postby Smurph » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:35 pm

Hello! I wonder if anyone might be able to help me identify these people?

I believe one of them is Edward Kirk born 1863. I have his WW1 Records... He was Royal Engineer number 114104 and Labour Corps 290773. Enlisted 17.08.1915 and Discharged 22.07.1918. He was 48 on discharge.

These 2 men look like identical twins to me so I assume they are related. This photo was given to me by my grandmother (Edward Kirk's Granddaughter) but I don't know for certain who they are. I'd love to know if one really is Edward.

Many Thanks!

Smurph
Attachments
scan0003.jpg
scan0003.jpg (721.74 KiB) Viewed 1764 times
Smurph

Re: WW1 Identification

Postby Jethro Tull » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:51 pm

Hi Smurph

I can't help unfortunately with the names of these people but I think the cap badges do both indicate the Royal Engineers. The picture is not the clearest to see and there are plenty of cap badges that have similar shapes including infantry etc, but seeing as this came from family with a story and the light coloured lanyard on the right chap too I think they are both the Royal Engineers. This picture though possibly dates after 1916 as one cap badge on the left looks "open" and the right one appears to be a solid economy version which was produced about 1916 onwards. Sorry this does not help too much for you other than to possibly confirm the engineer link.
Dan.
Jethro Tull

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:00 pm

All that I can add is that both appear to wear the economy pattern jacket that has flat breast pockets, rather than the original and later pleated pocket that expanded when you put your essentials in - pay book, tin of tobacco, etc.

I sort of thought from fallible memory, that the economy jacket was produced around 1915 (but I can't confirm that) and no doubt they continued in use after that.

So 1916 sounds a good estimate.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Smurph » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:38 pm

Thank you!

Of course, I wouldn't expect anyone to know their names! If I knew one was Edward (or at least the expected uniform) I could look for one of Edward's brothers in WW1 records.
Smurph

Return to Photo identification