Moderator Control Panel ]

Missing Death

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Missing Death

Postby Smurph » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:26 pm

Hello, I wonder if anyone could offer some advice on a missing death record?

I am looking for the death of Frederick William Jeffery. His birth was registered as Frederic William in 1858 in Hadlow, Kent (Tonbridge Registration District). The surname is often misspelled as Jeffrey.

He was with his wife, Kate Elizabeth Bone in the 1891 census

1891 England Census about Frederick W Jeffery
Name: Frederick W Jeffery
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1858
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Kate E Jeffery
Where born: Hadlow, Kent, England
Civil Parish: Keymer
Ecclesiastical parish: Keymer
County/Island: Sussex
Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status:

View image
Registration district: Cuckfield
Sub-registration district: Hurstpierpoint
ED, institution, or vessel: 5
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 793
Folio: 72
Page Number: 19
Household Members:
Name Age
Frederick W Jeffery 33
Kate E Jeffery 35
Lilian H Jeffery 9
Horace J Jeffery 7
Alfred A Jeffery 5
Eva E Jeffery 1

He had another child - Frederick William born in 1891, Southborough, Kent - I have this certificate. He had another child - Elizabeth Maud in 1898 in Southborough, Kent. However, Elizabeth's Baptism from 1899 does not have her father's name on it.

By the 1901 census, Kate is a widow living at 5 Holden Park Road, Southborough. The 1897 electoral roll gives Frederick William as having this property and a property in London Road, Southborough.

The problem is, he just disappears! I've tried everything I can think of.

Can anyone help?

Thank you!

Smurph
Smurph

Re: Missing Death

Postby Amazinggrace » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:21 pm

You seem to have some info for Kent and some for Sussex?
Amazing grace
Amazinggrace

Postby Smurph » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:24 pm

As far as I know. All children were born in Southborough, Kent. The only link to Sussex is the 1891 census.
Smurph

Postby brunes08 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:52 pm

I found a possible death for Frederick on familysearch.org. It is for a Frederick William Jeffery - 1901 - Registered in Dover. The death record is from the England and Wales Death Register Index - 2a 656. No age is given so not sure. I checked on freebmd but as this is not yet complete, it didn't show up there. May be worth following up. As he had property, have you looked for a Will?
brunes08

Postby sdup26 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:26 pm

Unfortunately, the transcription for the Frederick William Jeffery death in Dover is on findmypast, and shows age at death as 0.
Have you considered the possibility that Kate called herself a 'widow' because she and Frederick had parted? Frederick was a coachman up to 1891, but just for interest, there's an entry in Kelly's Directory for Tonbridge 1903: Frederick William Jeffery, beer retailer, Waterloo Road.
sdup26

Postby Smurph » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:09 pm

Hi!

I thought the same as you. Maybe he just left and Kate called herself a widow. The 1911 also says she's widowed and their son's marriage in 1919 gives Frederick as deceased.

I'm just not sure where to go from here. If he died, I can't find him. If he lived - I can't find him!

The 'other' Frederick - the one who's a beer keeper is in other census with his family, he was born around 1864 and had a wife and family
Smurph

Postby sdup26 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:04 pm

Like you, I can't find Frederick, either dead or alive. I've tried emigration, but the online records don't seem to have him, which doesn't mean he didn't go abroad. What about South Africa, where his skills with horses would have been useful during the Second Boer War? He would have been 40-ish - would that have been too old?
Why wasn't Frederick's name on Elizabeth Maud's baptism? Is there any chance she was Kate's daughter, but not Frederick's? Just trying to pinpoint his possible leaving/death.
sdup26

Postby Smurph » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:03 pm

We have a watch chain the the family with "FWJ 1919" on it but that could have been his son. Elizabeth Maud's birth is under Jeffery, mother's maiden name Bone. It's her baptism that doesn't have the father on.

First name(s) Elizabeth Maud
Last name Jeffery
Gender Female
Birth year -
Birth place -
Baptism year 1899
Baptism date 29 Jan 1899
Residence Tunbridge-Wells, Kent, England
Place Southborough
County Kent
Country England
Father's first name(s) -
Father's last name -
Mother's first name(s) Kate
Mother's last name Jeffery
Record set England Births & Baptisms 1538-1975
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Births & baptisms
Collections from Great Britain

Interestingly, 4 of the children were baptised on the same day. 3 have the father on. But they're just transcriptions, maybe the original has the father but has been mistranscibed.
Smurph

Return to General research queries