Moderator Control Panel ]

Navy records WWII

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Navy records WWII

Postby Karen Hughes » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:07 am

I learned today that one of my relatives was on HMs Indomitable when she was torpedoed in the Mediterranean. He was reported lost at sea - I dont know if this was in a later incident or not. Can anybody tell me if there is a RN database anywhere for WWII that I can access. His brother was a marine killed in action a commando raid. thanks
Karen Hughes

Re: Navy records WWII

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:14 am

Their service records are held by the Ministry of Defence and are not available elsewhere for privacy reasons. http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/royal-navy-ratings-after-1928/ is a guide from the National Archives that includes a link to the MoD website where you can download the form to request a copy of their records.

However please note that for similar privacy reasons, you need permission from their next of kin to access the full data otherwise you will not get a full copy.

The National Archives have other research guides for the Royal Navy that may help you access details about operations in the Second World War.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: Navy records WWII

Postby junkers » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:30 pm

Have you tried the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website?.
junkers

Return to Military help