Moderator Control Panel ]

Frederick Thomas Hughes (1888 - ?)

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Frederick Thomas Hughes (1888 - ?)

Postby MoVidger » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:57 pm

Happy New Year to all.

I'm struggling to find what became of my 1st cousin 2 x removed after 1911. Frederick Thomas HUGHES was born 20 November 1888 at 44 Exeter Street, Marylebone, London. His parents were Vernon and Helen (nee Worrell) Hughes. Vernon was a carpenter and joiner.

I have Frederick in the 1891 to 1911 census reports:

1891: 33 Pickering Street, Paddington. He is living with widowed mother Helen and his siblings.
1901: 46 Formosa Street, Paddington. "Fred" is age 12 and is a scholar.
1911: 280 Ladbroke Grove, North Kensington. Frederick is age 22 and is a Warehouseman (Printers). He is still living with his widowed mother and two adult sisters, one of whom is disabled.

After 1911 I lose sight of him. Given his age, one would assume he enlisted during WW1. However, I haven't found any enlistment records for him. I've also searched for him on the CWGC website, but don't think I've spotted him. (His older brother James William Hughes did enlist and died in 1917).

NOTE: On Ancestry, there is a WW1 enlistment record for a "Frederick Thomas Hughes" who is married to a Gertrude Timson. However, he is not my Frederick. Also, my Frederick's 1893 School Record on Ancestry incorrectly lists his birth year as 1889.

As for possible marriages, I've searched Ancestry using father Vernon's name in the search fields, but no luck.

Lastly, Frederick does not appear in the 1939 Register. So he's either passed away before Sept 1939 or possibly emigrated. But he continues to elude me.

Any suggestions, assistance or advice will be gratefully received! Many thanks.
MoVidger

Re: Frederick Thomas Hughes (1888 - ?)

Postby ianbee » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:05 pm

Hi Mo
A bit of casting around, to set the ball rolling!
There's only two people with that name registered in England + Wales, 1887-89
In fact your Frederick T Hughes was the first since 1884
The other one was from Bristol, born 1889, think he is there in 1939, and probably died there in 1960.
So this death is unexplained
Dec 1959 Hendon 5e 532
Hughes, Frederick T.
age 71

Re the 1939 Register, the person with the nearest birth details to your man that I can find is -
St Pancras
57A Charrington Street
Hughs Fred T, born 20 Dec 87 (looks like it was later amended - in pencil - to 22 Nov 87), Married, Milk Salesman (also says St Pancras ARP)
Hughs Catherine, born 28 Feb 84, Married, Unpaid domestic duties
Closed record

So that chap seems a little unsure of his birth date?
In the 1939 electoral register, in Charrington Street, they are Frederick Thomas and Catherine Hughes.

Which may tie in with this marriage (don't think it's online)
June 1912, Pancras 1b 206
Buckeridge, Catherine
Hughes, Frederick T.

Impossible really to say if that's your man or not!
Ian
ianbee

Postby MoVidger » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:57 pm

Hi Ian, many thanks for your findings. It's a shame the 1912 Pancras marriage record isn't on Ancestry. Having said that, it looks like the couple who married in 1912 are the same folks in the 1939 Register. Given that chap's amended birth date, I'm ruling him out for now.

When the Hughes siblings appear in the 1939 Register, they always use their correct birth dates. There is one sibling who doesn't appear, though, but I know for a fact she's still alive in 1939. So that's a possible indication that Frederick Thomas isn't necessarily dead by 1939.

I'm only mentioning her details, in case it could be a clue with Frederick's whereabouts. His older sister Harryot Marjorie Hughes was born on 19 January 1886 (Marylebone) and died 1981 in Dorset. By 1950, she was living at 8 Salisbury Street, Marnhull, Dorset.
She remained unmarried all her life, and tended to use her middle name. And she made at least one trip to Australia to visit cousins, possibly after WW2. So unless she's abroad somewhere, she should be in the 1939 Register, but I can't locate her.

With regards Frederick, I've been looking at various Probate records on Ancestry. The death registration in Hendon looks interesting. I may have to order the certificate. However, with a gap of nearly 50 years, I'm sure my Frederick would have changed professions at some point, so confirming whether it's him or not will prove difficult. :?
MoVidger

Postby ianbee » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:16 pm

One extra snippet (sorry!)
In 1911 Catherine Buckeridge was in Kensington. Age 27, born St Pancras, a Cook. At 39 Bassett Road.
Now if you walk down Bassett Road to number 1, you are at number 211 Ladbroke Grove, with 196 on the other side.
So your Frederick and family at 280 Ladbroke Grove couldn't have been so very far away from this lady.
Ian
ianbee

Postby MoVidger » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:48 pm

Ian - many thanks! I had seen the 1911 census with Catherine Buckeridge last week, along with the FreeBMD 1912 marriage entry. However, I didn't pay much attention to the Bassett Road address! You're right - it is a stone's throw from Frederick's Ladbroke Grove address. Looks like I'll plump for the marriage cert after all, just to be 100% certain it's him. (I've only been to the Ladbroke Grove area once, so I didn't realise how close Bassett Rd actually is to Ladbroke Grove).

Frederick's birthdate(s) in the 1939 Register are a tad odd. Maybe he was having a bad day and got muddled up. Interesting that he was involved with the St Pancras ARP - I'm assuming that's 'Air Raid Precautions Services' ?? I'm looking forward to researching that. Interestingly, I have a (female) cousin that was associated with the ARP in Kent.

So that's Frederick nearly done and dusted. Now if I could only find his sister Harryot in the 1939 Register (or in Travel records)...
MoVidger

Postby ianbee » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:59 pm

Hi Mo
You have me worried now, if you're thinking of ordering that marriage cert! Hope it's the right man, but can't be sure. Nor have I been able to pin down Fred/Frederick and Catherine Hughes on the electoral rolls after the early 1950s. Maybe she died before him.

Don't worry about Harryot Marjorie, she is on the 1939 Register!
1945 electoral register in Surrey,
Parliamentary Constituency - Farnham Division
Polling District/Ward - Horsell (North)
County Electoral Division - Woking North
Carthouse Lane
The Spinney
Hughes, Harryot M.
Waters, Alfred M.
Waters, Jessie K.

Is Jessie related?
All three are there in 1939
address search - The Sp?Ney, Carthouse Lane, Horsell
Harryot appears in the index as
~??? Hughes, born 19 Dec 1886
They have misread her birth month
If you need full details let me know.
Ian
ianbee

Postby MoVidger » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:14 pm

Hi Ian - thanks so much for locating Harryot in the 1939 Register! Yes, Jessie is one of her sisters. I knew Jessie and husband Alfred resided in Surrey, but had it in my head that Harryot was already in Dorset by 1939.

If it's not too much trouble, what is Harryot's occupation in the 1939 Register?

Pity that some birthdates in the 1939 Register are way off. I'll bear that in mind with future searches. I tend to search for the exact birth day, and then give 5 years either side.

With regards Frederick, I've found 3 Hughes daughters (mother Buckeridge) born between 1913 to 1919. The youngest has Epsom, Surrey for a birth registration district. This is good news because Frederick's mum Helen was living in Epsom by 1918 (as per the Electoral Rolls on Ancestry).

With the 5 year gap in births, it's looking very possible that Frederick enlisted for WW1.
MoVidger

Postby ianbee » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:13 pm

Hi
Waters Jessie Kate, 20 Mch 1870, Married
Waters Alfred ?, 24 April 1874, Married, Farmer Retired
Hughes Harryot Marjorie, 19 Jan 1886, Single, Hotel Housekeeper

To be fair to fmp, if I didn't know her second name was Marjorie I might struggle to get that.
Ian
ianbee

Return to General research queries