Moderator Control Panel ]

Biography of John Bowes, sometime Mayor of Lancaster?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Biography of John Bowes, sometime Mayor of Lancaster?

Postby MayHam » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:06 pm

Happy 2017.
Does anyone know if a biography exists of John Bowes, sometime Mayor of Lancaster?
I can't find anything about his parents or origins.

John Bowes, Esq., of Lancaster, Merchant, (1734, 1742- Mayor of Lancaster), bur.1744/5
1717= Agnes Moor, d.1720: Frances (1718), Jane (1719-1719)
1727= Margaret Marshall, bur.1776: John (1728-1798), Jane (1729-1763?), Thomas (1732-1783?)

Some sources say he was the uncle of Mary Eleanor Bowes-Lyon, 9th Countess of Strathmore. However, the Bowes manuscripts say that John Bowes, baptised in 1705, died of small pox on 4 July 1714.

Thank you.
MayHam

Re: Biography of John Bowes, sometime Mayor of Lancaster?

Postby brunes08 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:10 pm

There are quite a lot of sites on the internet that might help you. I just googled 'John Bowes Mayor of Lancaster' and found references to books and archives that might be worth chasing up.
brunes08

Postby MayHam » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:26 am

Thank you.
I had found quite a bit on John Bowes' children, John, Jane, and Thomas, through Google.

Just came across the following which talks about John's oldest son, Francis, and may include a bio.
https://books.google.ca/books?id=xnFnAA ... hurch+1746

Unfortunately, I can only read a snippet online and can't open a Amazon.co.uk account to buy it because I'm on the wrong side of the big pond. The Society doesn't seem to sell it either. This is really frustrating.
MayHam

Postby ianbee » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:16 am

MayHam, your google books link is for
Transactions of the Historic Society of Lancashire and Cheshire for the Year 1961 (vol 113)

You don't have to buy it
"The Historic Society of Lancashire & Cheshire"
http://www.hslc.org.uk/

You can read the article on there
Put a year range in, and search for "John Bowes"
http://www.hslc.org.uk/Read-or-Print-Earlier-Articles
Can download the whole journal for free as a pdf if you want to.

Not sure it has all you were hoping for though.
The mention of him on page 141 seems to be from the "Autobiography of William Stout of Lancaster", which is available in full on google books.
Ian
ianbee

Postby MayHam » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:26 pm

Wow, you folks are fantastic! Thank you!

The note about John Bowes being a Freeman in 1713-14 is interesting. Did you have to be a certain age to be a Freeman? Were you automatically designated an "esquire?" The date helps rule out some contenders.

I think the best contender is a John Bowes baptised in 1792 in Govan, Lanarkshire, the son of Alexander and Margaret (Wilkie) Bowes, which would agree with our family tradition.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X1WT-TR7

Alexander Bowes was from Govan and Margaret "Jean" (Wilki(n)e) from Cathcart. They were married in 1691 and their last child was baptised in Renfrew in 1718. I can't find them after that date.

Found a "Frances", daughter of John & Agnes Bowes, baptised in 1718 in Kendal, Westmorland.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NX9L-43J

Can't find the original record, though, to see if "Frances" should be "Francis." John & Agnes (Moor) Bowes married in 1717. So, Francis would have been the only son of John's first wife, who died in 1720, which would agree with the biography.

Thank you, again, for all your help! You folks are really wonderful!
MayHam

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:47 pm

MayHam wrote:... I think the best contender is a John Bowes baptised in 1792 in Govan, Lanarkshire, the son of Alexander and Margaret (Wilkie) Bowes, which would agree with our family tradition. ...

I hate to burst your bubble but unless you have evidence that we don't know about, that is nothing like a "best contender". Lancaster is in Lancashire, England and nothing to do with Lanarkshire in Scotland.

You need also to realise that very few British counties have anything like all their baptisms online - there are probably lots of John Bowes baptised at that time whose names are not online and more than a few who were never even baptised in the first place.

As for "Esquire", it's simply a means of address that indicates that the person referred to is not a member of the aristocracy (else they'd be "Sir", "Lord", etc.) but nor are they a member of the working class. Indeed, possibly not a member of the shop-keeping lower middle class either... But no more fixed than that. There is no specific definition.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby brunes08 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:47 pm

Going along with AdrianB32's comment, the surname Bowes crops up a lot in the area around Lancaster. If you haven't done so, have a look at familysearch.org for possibilities.
brunes08

Postby MayHam » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:20 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience, which is very kind.
I am prepared to having a few bubbles burst, especially during periods this early.

You are probably already familiar with the method of naming the first son after the father's father, which in this case would be Francis. Since writing last, I discovered a John Bowes, son of Francis, baptised in Westmorland, in 1687. Coincidentally, John's daughter Frances (or son Francis?) was baptised in Westmorland in 1718. Of course, Westmorland is a lot closer to Lancashire than Lanarkshire!

The reason I wonder about Lanarkshire is our family record says John was a extensive dry-goods merchant in Manchester. He had two sons, John Jr. (who married Lilias Paterson in Cathcart, Renfrewshire in 1755) and Gowan Sr.. Gowan Sr. had a son, Gowan, Jr. and an unnamed daughter. Gowan, Sr. was said to have been a wealthy overseer in the mutton market of Manchester.

I found a Gavin Sr., Gavin Jr., and Euphemia Bowes, fleshers in the mutton market of Glasgow, 1789-1828. However, Gavin Sr. appears to be the son of Allan Bowes and Janet Wootherspoon. They did not have a son, John, as far as I can tell, unless Allan is a nickname for Alexander. If so, Alexander may have married twice.

John Jr.'s son, James, was said to have been educated in Manchester and was a freeman. He was a designer, engraver, and block-cutter in the printing industry, but at the time of his marriage was a shoemaker. James and his wife, who was a daughter of the Glasgow Monteith "cotton barons," came to Canada from Thornbank Farm, Glamis. The farm was said to have been in the Bowes family for 300-400 years. James was said to have been a relative of The Queen Mother (nee Bowes-Lyon.) James' brothers, John and Alexander's, wills can be found at ScotlandsPeople in 1837 and 1841, respectively. Alexander was living in the 1841 census and said he was born around 1771 outside of Lanarkshire. James was baptised in 1760 and his sister, Jean, in 1762, both in Glasgow, according to ScotlandsPeople. All of this agrees with our family record.

I haven't completely discounted the idea that John Jr. married twice. First to Lillias Paterson in 1755 and second to Ellin Johnson in 1766. Unfortunately, I can't find John or Lillias' burial records at ScotlandsPeople.

Thanks again for sharing your expertise. It is much appreciated.
MayHam

Return to General research queries