Moderator Control Panel ]

Dad's service number

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Dad's service number

Postby Amazinggrace » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:55 pm

My brother is in the process of filling in the forms to get a copy of dads service record.
We know he was in the RASC. He volunteered for the second world war.We don't have his service number.All we have is a sheet of notes he wrote down for his grandson when he was going to Normandy with the school many years ago.It reads Thomas Gavin Carruthers,171Coy R.A.S.C.
11th Armoured Division,29thArmoured Brigade.Landed Juno beach D Day+1.It then goes on to detail the route they took.He drove the C.O.'s car when Belsen was liberated.As far as we know when he was discharged he was regimental sergeant major.Can anyone advise how we can get his service number please?
Grace
Amazinggrace

Re: Dad's service number

Postby AntonyM » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:17 pm

You don't need the service number if you have his date of birth ? Only one or the other is mandatory.
AntonyM

Postby Amazinggrace » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:04 pm

Many thanks AntonyM, I will pass that info on to my brother.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby janmlawson » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:43 pm

If you are seeking a military record you will need the date of birth, the death certificate and a declaration you are the next of kin.
janmlawson

Postby Amazinggrace » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:33 am

Thanks janmlawson,my brother has all that. Looking forward to what he finds out.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Return to General research queries