Moderator Control Panel ]

Knox family of Norham

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Knox family of Norham

Postby PaulH01 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:57 pm

I have managed to trace one line of my ancestors back to William Knox, born 1655 in Norham.

I also know that the Reformer John Knox was in Norham in the 1550s and eventually married Margery, a daughter of Richard Bowes, Captain of Norham Castle.
Therefore I'm wondering if William is related to John. The coincidence is so great is must be true - but how are they related?

So far I've been unable to find any information about any of John/Margery's two sons, or any children of John's brothers, or any other relatives, having any further connection with Norham.

Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks, Paul H
PaulH01

Knox family of Norham

Postby brunes08 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:11 pm

John Knox and his wife were living in Geneva when their two sons were born. Their names were Nathaniel and Eleazar. Margery died in 1560 when the boys were three and a half and two years therefore giving approximate years of birth (not sure which is the elder). John remarried in 1564 and he and his wife had three daughters. If you google 'John Knox' you can find a lot of information about him from various sites including his time in Norham.
brunes08

Re: Knox family of Norham

Postby brunes08 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:34 pm

Have been rummaging around on various sites on the internet. It seems that Nathaniel died in 1580 aged 23 yrs and Eleazar in 1591 aged 33 yrs. Neither were married so no legitimate children therefore a bit of a dead end there, I'm afraid.
brunes08

Postby PaulH01 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:53 pm

Thanks for looking, Brunes, that's as far as I got too.

I just can't find out how a set of Knoxes were 'left behind' in Norham when John left.

John also had a brother, one was called William (went to Lancashire) and I found a source that said that he may have had other brothers and sisters. So maybe one of those went to Norham?

John's father was from Scotland.
PaulH01

Postby brunes08 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:13 pm

I looked on Familysearch.org for the baptism of William based on your date of 1655. I found it ( presumably the right one) dated 3.11.1655 father named as James Knoxe. Also a possible brother James bapt 4.11.1658, father also James Knoxe. Then I had a rummage for a possible birth of James and a lot of Knox surnames come up in East Lothian which is where John Knox was born (in Haddington). So there may be a connection, there may not. There are also a lot of Knox families throughout Northumberland and elsewhere.
brunes08

Postby PaulH01 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:31 pm

Thanks again - yes, that was the William Knox (b 1655) I found too.

The only James Knoxe (with the 'e') entries before that are b 1602 (Canongate, Edinburgh) or 1635 (Ormiston, East Lothian), or (without the 'e) lots of entries, many again in Scotland, as you say.

Obviously there are no connections with any of these to Norham, but the coincidence of John being there in the 1550s and a family line being traceable to there from 1655 is just too great.
Perhaps one of John's unknown brothers came to Norham with him, and stayed there? That's all I can think of.

In my family tree the last mention I can find of the name Knox is Robert Knox Young 1793-1846, from Pittington, Durham.

I have a similarly frustrating dead end with my Byron ancestors, which I may post about in due course!
Thanks again for your help.
PaulH01

Return to General research queries