Moderator Control Panel ]

More search gotcha's for GRO GOV

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

More search gotcha's for GRO GOV

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:23 am

Anyone used to freebmd, will realise that hyphenated or double-barreled surnames are generally indexed on the last part of the surname, thus 'smith-wilson' will be indexed under wilson.
Sadly, the new Gro site does things differently, and indexes on the whole 'smith-wilson', and it won't be found using either wilson or smith. So now one has to wonder who decides whether the 'smith' part is a forename or part of a double-barreled surname! This is particularly relevant whan searching for illegitimate births, when mother has added the 'father' as a middle name!

PS anyone notice that when searching using the 'phonetically similar' or ' spelt similar' (forget how the two options are worded), especially for mother's surname, the name 'webbe' seems to match everything? So for example, when searching for 'thompson' or similar, the site seems to think 'webbe' is a likely match! How do their minds work?:)

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Re: More search gotcha's for GRO GOV

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:55 am

Actually Mick I had never even noticed the way that double barrelled names are normally indexed so that is useful.

I only have one double barrelled name to search for and that is indexed inconsistently because sometimes the first component is recorded as a given name and sometimes as part of the surname. I suspect that it's not just an indexing issue but that the name is entered inconsistently on the form. The name is often not hyphenated which doesn't help.

I wonder what the rules are??

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:01 am

As for "webbe" if they've used an off the shelf package with an algorithm similar to Soundex, that probably ends up with just 2 letters at opposite ends of the alphabet and for some reason that must be a low grade match to most words.

Always said Soundex was useless. I have, of course, never tried to design anything similar!

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:30 pm

Adrian,
My concern wasn't about missing a double-barelled name (none in my tree so far:) ), but more the other way round! I have some "Weaver's", who sometime gave some of their children their mothers maiden name of "Longford" as a middle name. Up untill now I found them easily on freebmd as "Weaver" but GRO now shows some of them as 'Longford-Weaver'!
They certainly don't make it easy for us, especially as they don't seem very consistent.:(

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Return to Genealogy chat