Moderator Control Panel ]

Irish birth place

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Irish birth place

Postby ianbee » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:59 pm

Excellent find Katherine. Another one!
The possible mum and dad, John and Elizabeth, still together in Heworth in 1861 (Baty). John was a Chemical Labourer.
John Beattie might have died in 1869, age 68, registered Gateshead. Is a burial record as well (abode Felling)
Elizabeth still around in 1871 and 1881, with daughter Mary (who may have married Arthur Wood in 1855?)
Hope this all works out. Then finding something of them in Ireland is going to be the problem!
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:36 pm

Hope you looked at the neighbours, as brunes08 advised. I said it wouldn't help!
piece 3798 folio 62 page 29
Parish - Heworth
schedule 143
Felling Shore
John Baty Head Mar 60 Chemical Labourer Ireland
Elizabeth Baty Wife Mar 54 Ireland
John Kennedy Boarder Un 21 Chemical Labourer Ireland

piece 3798 folio 64 pages 33 and 34
Parish - Heworth
schedule 178
Felling Shore
William Baty Head Mar 24 Boiler Smith Ireland
Jane Baty Wife Mar 22 Durham Jarrow
William Baty Son 2 Scholar Durham Heworth
Elizabeth Baty Daur 10 months Durham Heworth
ianbee

Postby ksouthall » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:53 pm

The information Ian found out about Mary marrying Arthur Wood matches what I had found.

It may be worth obtaining the following marriage certificates, or looking at copies of the parish registers if that is possible, to see if the father's details match:-

Name Henry Beattie Registration Year 1847 Registration Quarter Jul-Aug-Sep Registration district Tynemouth Volume 25 Page 387

The 1853 marriage of George Beattie and Sarah Nelson previously mentioned by Ian.

Name Mary Beatty Registration Year 1855 Registration Quarter Jan-Feb-Mar Registration district Gateshead Volume 10a Page 549

Name: William Baty Registration Year: 1856 Registration Quarter: Apr-May-Jun Registration district: Gateshead Volume: 10a Page: 657

It would be worth bearing in mind that the father's occupation may have changed slightly over the years. However, if you can determine some of William's siblings, that could help you find the matching family in Ireland.

NB - The witnesses may prove useful if they match on some or all of the records.
Last edited by ksouthall on Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ksouthall

Postby ksouthall » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:04 pm

In 1871, a George Beattie born in Ireland in about 1817, was lodging with Elizabeth Beattie, born about 1806 - 1809 in Ireland. Elizabeth was the widow of the John Beattie previously mentioned, who was born in Ireland in about 1802.

Is it possible that this George was the younger brother or a cousin of John Beattie? Or is the year of birth incorrect?

A James Beattie, born in about 1835 in Ireland, was lodging with Henry Beattie, born about 1826 in Ireland. James was described as his cousin, a scholar. I'm not sure how James fits in.

I think Henry could possibly be one of John and Elizabeth Beattie's children, along with Mary (b. 1831), George (b. 1835) and William (b. 1838). There may be other siblings.
ksouthall

Irish birth place

Postby brunes08 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:27 pm

Oh dear! What worked for me in more than one place has not, unfortunately, worked well in this case regarding the census returns. How annoying. It just confirms one of the 'rules' - that 'there are no rules in genealogy'!! We are at the mercy of those individuals who wrote the information down on all manner of documents whether briefly, correctly, illegibly etc for us to unravel. If only they had realised at the time what problems they would cause us decades or centuries later. But then if it was all easy, we would lose those wonderful 'eureka' moments when the brick walls tumble and we find the next piece of evidence. There wouldn't be any need to try to help each other with our difficulties and that would be a shame.
brunes08

Postby Abb1959 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:10 pm

Thank you so much to Ian bee and ksouthall and brunes08. This all makes sense and it looks like you have found what I have been searching for - the place in Ireland where my ancestor was born. This will help me to get going with the Irish records, and is fascinating news to share with my family.

I had incorrectly concluded that he came from Cork, so had a wonderful holiday there earlier this year! Highly recommended! Perhaps I will now get to Co. Antrim next year.

Best wishes and many thanks to you all.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Abb1959

Previous

Return to General research queries