Moderator Control Panel ]

Parents of John Henry Perry 1885-1958?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Parents of John Henry Perry 1885-1958?

Postby Linziw » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:23 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to find information about the parents of my Great Grandfather John Henry Perry. He was born 1885 in "London" no more specific details, and from his wedding certifate to Florence Lilian Jenkins, his Father was a labourer called John Perry.

It seems John Henry's parents died when he was very young as he is listed as living with his grandparents Charles and Eliza Perry at age 5, and so from that I think his mother may have been Elizabeth Perry. I think its a bit odd that both of his parents have the surname Perry, and I cant find any marriage certificate for them, any birth records for John Henry or any death Records for his parents before he was 5 and living with his grandparents in Birmingham. All a bit of a mystery!

If anyone can shed any light on this dead end of mine I would be incredibly happy!
Thanks
Lindsey
Linziw

Re: Parents of John Henry Perry 1885-1958?

Postby meekhcs » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:35 pm

There are two possible births for a John Henry Perry in the London area
1884 September Quarter Lambeth 01D, 489 Mother's name DALE
1886 March Quarter Greenwich 01D,1062 Mother'sname BILLING
Do either names ring a bell or have you already checked these?
meekhcs

Postby Linziw » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:25 pm

Hi, thankyou, I did find those records in London but discounted them because I thought the mothers maiden name was Perry, as listed on the census where he is living with them because John Henry Perry's grandparents were Perrys too. Surely John Henry Perrys parents both with same surname wouldn't marry it seems too much of a coincidence! All very confusing!
Linziw

Postby Sylcec » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:51 pm

In the 1891 census there are 2 grandchildren living with Charles and Eliza Perry: John H Perry, 5, and Martha Allen, age 3. Also Ellen Perry, 31, dau of Charles & Eliza.
There are several scenarios that could apply:
- John Henry is the illegitimate son of Ellen (or of another, unnamed daughter). Just because JHP named his father as John Perry on a marriage certificate, does not mean that was so. Father's names were often invented for respectability.
- John Henry has been wrongly dittoed as a Perry, but is the full brother of Martha Allen - unlikely, given that he married as a Perry.
- Charles and Eliza are the paternal grandparents of John Henry, not the maternal as you are suggesting.
I think that the way forward on this is to further investigate the family of Charles and Eliza Perry - who were their children and what became of them?
Sylcec

Postby Sylcec » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:10 pm

In 1851 at Walsall, Charles Perry, 28, b. Shenstone, Staffs is with his wife Eliza, 26 and daughter Elizabeth, 10 mths (wrongly transcribed on FMP as Elizabeth Hodson)

In 1861 they are at Sutton Coldfield and the family has increased, children now:
Elizabeth - 11
Charles - 8
Ann - 5
Eliza - 4
Ellen - 1

By 1871 they have added 3 more:
Sarah - 9
William - 7
Martha - 4

There is plenty of potential for one of the daughters to be the mother of your Charles Henry!
Sylcec

Postby ianbee » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:01 pm

In case it helps in the search,
1939 Register has
47 Somercotes Road, Birmingham
Perry John H, born 30 Sep 86, Married, Bricklayers Labourer, also ARP Rescurer(?) + Demolition
Perry Florence L, 26 July 88, Married, unpaid domestic
Perry John H, 13 Jan 20, Single, Switchgear (apprentice) drawing office

So John Perry says he was born 30 September. Making a December quarter registration very likely. However, if he died June qtr 1958, Birmingham, then his age was given as 73.
In the census he is aged 5, 15, 25. Making 1885 look the probable year of birth, as you have said.

Any sign of a baptism anywhere? Even in Sutton Coldfield? Or a school record (can't see any for Warwickshire online)

If he was born on that date in 1885, then less than two weeks later (I am not inferring a connection) -
William Allen, age 40, widower, married Ann Perry, 30, spinster, father Charles Perry, Labourer.
Marriage was at the Wesleyan Chapel, Greenwich.
Martha Elizabeth Allen's birth was registered in Greenwich, Sep qtr 1887.
In 1891 Ann Allen might be the 35 year old widow, born Warwickshire, lodging in St Paul Deptford.
Ian
ianbee

Return to General research queries